This page is designed to pull together as much information, resources, and news relating to Coronavirus specifically within the cinema industry. Please feel free to let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org of any other information and resources that you may be aware of:
General Corona Virus Information And Resources
All these resources and links are the Government related and similar sources relating to the virus and general advice:
- The official UK Government Coronavirus information website.
- The United Nations News page on the topic.
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics – providing the historical content of pandemics.
- Ukie COVID-19 roundup: Government and business support has a great summary of the aforementioned Government and business support.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. Includes an interactive global map with all the latest data on the Coronavirus cases.
- Protective Measures.
Individual Cinema Organisations/Company Information and Support Pages
Most of the individual membership organisations and similar have pages with specifically tailored resources:
- FAN – The Bigger Picture – extensive information page.
- Cinema Technology Community is offering free community membership for 6 months
- Cinema for All have a guide to creating virtual online Film Clubs.
- Cinema for All – advice and support whilst we stay at home.
- Independent Cinema Office Blog – What Cinemas Can Do Right Now.
- Air Screen Corona virus page
- Event Cinema Association Coronavirus Advice and Information
- Giant Screen Cinema COVID-19 Resource Page
- BECTU Covid-19 Adice and Information.
- Film & TV Charity Covid-19 advice page.
- UKCA Coronavirus Page.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- BFI – Answering Questions From the Screen Sectors.
- BFI Coronavirus Update.
- The Big Picture Corvid-19 Report.
- Screen has compiled an extensive list of all the ongoing international initiatives launched to support the international film industry at this time.
- Into Film – film guide to use at home.
- CICAE – CORONAVIRUS: SITUATION OF CINEMAS
Cinema Sector-Specific Coronavirus News Stories
All the stories being published about Coronavirus across the sector:
- Box Office Pro Coronavirus Stories
- Celluloid Junkie Stories
- Hollywood Reporter.
- Mad Cornish Projectionist Coronavirus Stories.
- Variety Coronavirus Stories.
Equipment and Technical Advice
All these links are guides and resources to looking after and maintaining the technical equipment in the cinema.
- Equipment Shutdown Guide from CinemaNext
- Cinema Technology Community – Covid-19 Closure; Technology Tips for Equipment Upkeep and Preparation for Re-Opening.
- Cinionic’s guide to equipment shutdown.
- NEC Best Pracise Guidance for Cinema Equipment.
- FilmTech Forum – Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown
- GoFilex Shutdown Technical Details.
- GDC Technology Server Shutdown Technical Notice.
- Christie Closure Details.
- UNIC Cinemas Technical recommendations for cinema operators during closure.
- Technical guidance for prevention of Coronavirus spread during cinema reopening – UK China Film.
- QUBE Digitial Cinema Server Maintenance for Extended Shutdown.
- Atom Seating guide to deep cleaning their seats
Fundraising Related Links
There are a number of different funds being setup to help support the sector:
- How to Help Your Local Cinema.
- Cinema Worker Solidarity Fund
- UK Cinema Worker Solidarity Fund.
- New Covid-19 Film and TV Emergency Relief Fund set up
- Art House America Campaign.
Retail/Property/Commercial Related Material
Information and articles directly related to Retail/Property/Commercial:
- What can UK retailers learn from their Chinese counterparts in the midst of COVID-19?
- What food retailers should do during the coronavirus crisis
Online Training Courses
There are plenty of online training courses being made available during this time, here are a few cinema specific ones:
- Christie University Catalog.
- Dolby Cinema Product Training Registration.
- Independent Cinema Office online learning courses.
- JBL/Harman Professional Online Training Sessons.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- Trinnov Audio Offers Cinema Downtime Customer Overview & Engineer Calibration Training
- A free Film Distribution Online Learning Course.
- QSC – Q-SYS Level 1 Cinema
Miscellaneous Resources and Information
This section is for any useful or relevant links that don’t fit anywhere else:
- Looking Forward: Assessing the Domestic Theatrical Situation.
- McKinsey – Survery US consumer sentiment during the Coronavirus crisis
- Calison Technology, better known for 3D products are offering disposable medical mask($0.55 for MOQ 1000pcs) and N95 mask($1.80 for MOQ 500pcs) available in stock, more details pls contact me via email@example.com.
- HR Advice for managers during the Coronavirus.
- COVID-19: Answering questions from the screen sectors.
- UK Cinema Network Facebook Page – is a peer to peer network for those who work in cinemas / multi-arts venues. An opportunity to share news, offer support and talk about new opportunities coming up.
- Social Distancing Festival. Not entirely cinema-related, but provides list of some of the material that is available to stream online, for when you need a break.
A number of different organisations are putting on webinars to help share knowledge and information during this period. Any that are known about are listed below:
- Together Films – hosted a webinar on Monday 23rd March and Monday 30th March on the range of digital resources available to power community impact screenings during this time. Recordings of WEEK 1 and WEEK 2 can be found on the links.
- Cinema InFlux Webinar Series: Webinar #1: Cinema Operations, People Management & Finance Planning @ 16:00 BST on Wednesday 1st April 2020
- CJ Cinema Summit – The next #CJCinemaSummit is scheduled for Thursday 09.04.20 at 16.00 GMT, and will include Exhibitors sharing their experience and insights. Make sure to save your spot here. The recording from the first summit is available here. and the second seminar recording is available here. The latest news for this event is here. Boxoffice Pro have a recap of the summit held on 26th March.
- WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown, Wednesday 8th April @ 14.30 IST.
The Big Picture Infographics
The Big Picture have been creating informative infographics and helping to disseminate information from across the sector, along with supporting this page. Also have a look at their Corvid-19 Report:
- Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown“Electric tiaras” are what theatre historian Ben M. Hall called the movie marquee. The cinema marquee and its readograph – the backlit sign written with moveable letters – is as important as the movie poster. Originally a rectangular sign, its... The post Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep GoingIt’s been a long old year, this week. It’s a sobering thought that our industry, like many others, temporarily doesn’t exist. In a little more than a week we at Celluloid Junkie have gone from tracking and reporting on the... The post “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep Going appeared first on Celluloid […]Claire Beswick
- Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19In these days of self-isolation, “vectoring” only with those you must, going out to the cinema is not an option – or is it? As the coronavirus closes multiplexes, movie theatres, outdoor screenings and specialist cinematic events in the west,... The post Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- Coronavirus Is Blurring Theatrical Release Windows, Not Breaking ThemIn his 1982 collection of speeches and essays about the struggle for justice taking place in South Africa, Bishop Desmond Tutu wrote: A time of crisis is not just a time of anxiety and worry. It gives a chance, an... The post Coronavirus Is Blurring Theatrical Release Windows, Not Breaking Them appeared first on Celluloid […]J. Sperling Reich
- Coronavirus Cinema Update – Monday 16 March 2020This post will be updated throughout today. Please check back for updates. It is sadly becoming easier to track which countries haven’t closed their cinemas, than keeping track of all the ones where they have closed. Germany, Sweden, UK and... The post Coronavirus Cinema Update – Monday 16 March 2020 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Coronavirus Cinema Update – Friday 13 March 2020This post will be updated throughout the day (13 March 2020) as news emerges and things change at a fast pace. Thank you also to all those who have sent in news and kept us informed. Please send updates you... The post Coronavirus Cinema Update – Friday 13 March 2020 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- The Coronavirus Effect on the Movie Business: Strap Yourself In, It’s Going To Be A Bumpy RideUnless you’ve been living in an igloo or are part of the Trump Administration you’ve probably heard that there’s this pesky coronavirus called COVID-19 going around the world. Thousands have been infected and entire territories have come to a virtual... The post The Coronavirus Effect on the Movie Business: Strap Yourself In, It’s Going To […]Jim Amos
- Selective Closure of Cinemas in Poland Due To CoronavirusWith cinemas ordered closed in six countries, including neighbouring Slovak Republic, local authorities in Poland have begun closing cinemas in some cities. The closures are part of an effort to contain the cpread of the Coronavirus responsible for the Covid-19... The post Selective Closure of Cinemas in Poland Due To Coronavirus appeared first on Celluloid […]Patrick von Sychowski
- How Kino Marquee’s Virtual Theatrical Model is Helping Cinemas Through the COVID-19 Pandemic – Boxoffice 2020/04/06Interview with Richard Lorber, Chief Executive Officer, Kino Lorber Source: How Kino Marquee’s Virtual Theatrical Model is Helping Cinemas Through the COVID-19 Pandemic – Boxoffice
- How Patrons Are Supporting Cinemas Around the World – Celluloid Junkie 2020/04/06The film industry, and exhibition in particular, is in a state of flux. With the US box office reporting $0 for the first time, exhibitors of all sizes around the world are going to find the next few months difficult, despite the few bright spots, such as the resurgence of socially-distancing friendly drive-in movie theatres. […]
- WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown 2020/04/06
- In The Pub With Mike Bradbury Podcast – Ep3 – Dick Van Dyke’s 125! 2020/04/06In The Pub With Mike Bradbury Podcast – Ep3 – Dick Van Dyke’s 125! Listen Now To The Podcast! In The Pub With Mike Bradbury is the regular podcast from Cinema Technology Community (www.cinema-technology.com). Each quarter Mike is joined by regulars Kevin Markwick and Toni Purvis plus guests to take an irreverent look at cinema […]
- Theater Owners Create $2.4 Million Fund for Cinema Workers 2020/04/03The National Association of Theatre Owners and the Pioneers Assistance Fund have created an initial $2.4 million fund to provide financial assistance to movie theater employees who need help due to the coronavirus pandemic. The organizations said Monday that the first part of the initiative is a grant program that will provide a stipend to any theater workers who […]
- US head theatre lobbyist talks stimulus package, windows, CinemaCon 2021 2020/04/03The novel coronavirus pandemic has created an unprecedented period of tumult for exhibition and amid the chaos US lobby group National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO) has been scrambling to secure aid for theatre companies of all sizes and their workers. Source: https://www.screendaily.com/news/
- Cinionic Returns to CinemaCon After a Groundbreaking Year for Laser 2020/04/03Cinionic, the Barco, CGS, and ALPD cinema joint venture, proudly announces an industry milestone in the adoption of laser and its CinemaCon 2020 line-up with a new home for Cinionic World in the Roman Ballrooms, Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, March 31 – April 2, 2020. In 2019, the company introduced the award-winning Barco Series 4 as part […]
- U.K. Distributors Take Steps to Support Independent Cinemas Amid Coronavirus 2020/04/03U.K. cinemas remain shuttered due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, and while some of the large chains with deep pockets have the wherewithal to ride out the crisis, independent cinemas are suffering. Some U.K. distributors have come up with solutions to remedy this. Source: https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/
- Many cinemas are currently closed worldwide. Could this be a sign of things to come? 2020/04/03With cinemas shut worldwide in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and families indoors, there has, perhaps, never been a worse time to be a cinema owner. Reporting its 2019 year-end fiscal results, Cineworld, the world’s second-biggest cinema chain with almost 10,000 screens in 11 countries, said that a two-month lockdown of all its sites could […]
- NEC Launches The Quietest Digital Cinema Projector On The Market 2020/04/03NEC Display Solutions Europe has launched the NC1402L digital cinema projector, combining powerful imaging and quiet operation for the most immersive cinema experiences. Running at just 49dB, the almost silent projector causes low noise disturbance for audiences and is also ideal for venues like mobile and boothless cinemas. Source: https://www.displaydaily.com/article/press-releases/nec-launches-the-quietest-digital-cinema-projector-on-the-market
- VIP Cinema Seating closed for good 2020/04/03A plant in New Albany is closing for good, a casualty of the coronavirus. VIP Cinema Seating shut down operations permanently, according to a report Monday by The Wall Street Journal. The maker of reclining movie theater seats for the Cinemark and Malco theater chains filed for bankruptcy in February and hoped to recover. However, the […]
- NEC Display Releases New Install-Anywhere Laser Projector for Digital Cinemas 2020/04/03NEC Display announced the release of the NC1402L Monday. A native 2048×1080, it’s a 9500-lumen, install-anywhere laser projector that’s aimed at digital cinemas but could be used anywhere. The NC1402L benefits from NEC Display’s sealed optical engine technology, which creates a dust-proof enclosure around the optical element. With no lamp or filter replacement costs, the NC1402L […]
- $23 million cinema complex approved for Cockburn Central 2020/04/03Cockburn Central’s western precinct is set to cement itself as a hub of activity after a $23 million entertainment hub was given the go-ahead. A Joint Development Assessment Panel approved the mixed use development on the corner of Veterans Parade and Midgeroodoo Avenue, which will include cinemas, restaurants and a bowling alley, despite concerns over […]
- Coping With COVID-19 Crisis: The Perspective From India; Local Producer Vikram Malhotra On How Nation’s “Lifeblood” Cinema Is Being Impacted 2020/04/03India, a country of 1.3 billion people, imposed a nationwide lockdown last week as it desperately battles to contain the spread of coronavirus. Film and TV production had already halted on March 19, and the country’s cinemas, which are enormously popular and vital to local communities, are all shuttered. Source: https://deadline.com/
- A Shutdown Theater Turned Its Parking Lot Into a Drive-In and Sold Out Every Movie 2020/04/03As movie theaters across the country have shut down, one multiplex in Texas has found an inventive way to keep the projector rolling. The EVO Entertainment movie theater in Schertz, Texas, has converted its parking lot into a temporary drive-in theater, reports Forbes. The company painted the exterior wall of the movie theater with high-grain white paint that films can […]
- German Comedy to Split VOD Revenue With Closed Cinemas 2020/04/03A total of 15 percent of all VOD revenues for X Verleih’s ‘The Kangaroo Chronicles’ will go into a fund to help cinemas forced to shut down during the coronavirus crisis. Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/
- A new survey suggests that cinema audiences will decrease in a post-COVID-19 world 2020/04/03I think it’s clear that the event that has defined cinema in the year 2020 is Covid-19. While we were hoping to see many a blockbuster coming our way over the past few months, we have instead seen movie theatres shut down, film releases delayed and the rest of us stuck at home watching Netflix […]
- Unifrance assesses Covid-19 impact on French cinema exports 2020/04/03French cinema promotional body Unifrance has released a detailed report into the immediate impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the release of French films around the world, drawing on data from its weekly box office reports. “Normally, in any given week there will be around 250 separate release campaigns going on for French films in […]
- Coping With COVID-19 Crisis: UK Cinema Chain Curzon CEO On Surviving Closures & Evolving VOD Offering 2020/04/03Philip Knatchbull is CEO of Curzon, the UK cinema chain that also operates a distribution business and VOD service, Curzon Home Cinema. It was an auspicious start to 2020 for Curzon, with its release of the Oscar-winning Parasite becoming the highest-grossing foreign-language film in UK box office history, topping out at close to $15M. That followed news two […]
- The new Gables Cinema Drive-In lets you have an old-fashioned movie night at home 2020/04/03The new streaming giants have been chipping away at the brick-and-mortar movie theater business for years. But now that we’re being forced to stay home and invent ways to keep ourselves entertained, the idea of going out to catch a flick, hugging a bucket of buttery popcorn in our lap and partaking in a collective […]