This page is designed to pull together as much information, resources, and news relating to Coronavirus specifically within the cinema industry.
Please feel free to let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org of any other information and resources that you may be aware of:
General Corona Virus Information And Resources
All these resources and links are the Government related and similar sources relating to the virus and general advice:
- The official UK Government Coronavirus information website.
- The United Nations News page on the topic.
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics – providing the historical content of pandemics.
- Ukie COVID-19 roundup: Government and business support has a great summary of the aforementioned Government and business support.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. Includes an interactive global map with all the latest data on the Coronavirus cases.
- Protective Measures.
Individual Cinema Organisations/Company Information and Support Pages
Most of the individual membership organisations and similar have pages with specifically tailored resources:
- FAN – The Bigger Picture – extensive information page.
- Cinema Technology Community is offering free community membership for 6 months
- Cinema for All have a guide to creating virtual online Film Clubs.
- Cinema for All – advice and support whilst we stay at home.
- Independent Cinema Office Blog – What Cinemas Can Do Right Now.
- Air Screen Corona virus page
- Event Cinema Association Coronavirus Advice and Information
- Giant Screen Cinema COVID-19 Resource Page
- BECTU Covid-19 Adice and Information.
- Film & TV Charity Covid-19 advice page.
- UKCA Coronavirus Page.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- BFI – Answering Questions From the Screen Sectors.
- BFI Coronavirus Update.
- The Big Picture Corvid-19 Report.
- Screen has compiled an extensive list of all the ongoing international initiatives launched to support the international film industry at this time.
- Into Film – film guide to use at home.
- CICAE – CORONAVIRUS: SITUATION OF CINEMAS
- Independent Cinema Office sector survey results report.
- Box Office Coronavirus Pages.
- The Big Picture Page.
Cinema Sector-Specific Coronavirus News Stories
All the stories being published about Coronavirus across the sector:
- Box Office Pro Coronavirus Stories
- Celluloid Junkie Stories
- Hollywood Reporter.
- Mad Cornish Projectionist Coronavirus Stories.
- Variety Coronavirus Stories.
Equipment and Technical Advice
All these links are guides and resources to looking after and maintaining the technical equipment in the cinema.
- Equipment Shutdown Guide from CinemaNext
- Cinema Technology Community – Covid-19 Closure; Technology Tips for Equipment Upkeep and Preparation for Re-Opening.
- Cinionic’s guide to equipment shutdown.
- NEC Best Pracise Guidance for Cinema Equipment.
- FilmTech Forum – Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown
- GoFilex Shutdown Technical Details.
- GDC Technology Server Shutdown Technical Notice.
- Christie Closure Details.
- UNIC Cinemas Technical recommendations for cinema operators during closure.
- Technical guidance for prevention of Coronavirus spread during cinema reopening – UK China Film.
- QUBE Digitial Cinema Server Maintenance for Extended Shutdown.
- Atom Seating guide to deep cleaning their seats
- Preparing for a Cinema extended closure period and explaining why its so important
- Digital Cinema Report: Rebooting Cinemas When the Pandemic Ends
- Vista Reopening Tool Kit
Fundraising Related Links
There are a number of different funds being setup to help support the sector:
Retail/Property/Commercial Related Material
Information and articles directly related to Retail/Property/Commercial:
- What can UK retailers learn from their Chinese counterparts in the midst of COVID-19?
- What food retailers should do during the coronavirus crisis
Online Training Courses
There are plenty of online training courses being made available during this time, here are a few cinema specific ones:
- Christie University Catalog.
- Dolby Cinema Product Training Registration.
- Independent Cinema Office online learning courses.
- JBL/Harman Professional Online Training Sessons.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- Trinnov Audio Offers Cinema Downtime Customer Overview & Engineer Calibration Training
- A free Film Distribution Online Learning Course.
- QSC – Q-SYS Level 1 Cinema
Miscellaneous Resources and Information
This section is for any useful or relevant links that don’t fit anywhere else:
- Looking Forward: Assessing the Domestic Theatrical Situation.
- McKinsey – Survery US consumer sentiment during the Coronavirus crisis
- Calison Technology, better known for 3D products are offering disposable medical mask($0.55 for MOQ 1000pcs) and N95 mask($1.80 for MOQ 500pcs) available in stock, more details pls contact me via email@example.com.
- HR Advice for managers during the Coronavirus.
- COVID-19: Answering questions from the screen sectors.
- UK Cinema Network Facebook Page – is a peer to peer network for those who work in cinemas / multi-arts venues. An opportunity to share news, offer support and talk about new opportunities coming up.
- Social Distancing Festival. Not entirely cinema-related, but provides list of some of the material that is available to stream online, for when you need a break.
- Independent Cinema Office – list of Coronovirus resources.
A number of different organisations are putting on webinars to help share knowledge and information during this period. Any that are known about are listed below:
- Together Films – hosted a webinar on Monday 23rd March and Monday 30th March on the range of digital resources available to power community impact screenings during this time. Recordings of WEEK 1 and WEEK 2 can be found on the links.
- Cinema InFlux Webinar Series: have a weekly series of webinars, with previous weeks available to listen to.
- CJ Cinema Summit – A weekly webinar series, with previous editions available to listen to again online.
- Boxoffice Pro have a recap of the summit held on 26th March.
- CineConf: WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown, have a series of webinars. You can watch the first one on YouTube here.
- BoxOffice Pro – Podcasts.
- Park Circus_Comscore UK Webinar Presentation. The presentation includes details of Park Circus’ Corvid-19 response, their Classic Cinema Programming plan and how cinemas can book it.
Online Events This Week
Each week there are a variety of different online webinars being run by different people and companies, so here is your weekly guide to what is happening, with links to register:
The Big Picture Infographics
The Big Picture have been creating informative infographics and helping to disseminate information from across the sector, along with supporting this page. Also have a look at their Corvid-19 Report:
- CineAsia 2021 Canceled Over COVID ConcernsWith the COVID-19 pandemic continuing to disrupt countries throughout Southeast Asia the Film Expo Group has decided to cancel this year’s CineAsia convention. The event was scheduled to take place in Bangkok, Thailand from December 6th to the 9th. This... The post CineAsia 2021 Canceled Over COVID Concerns appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.J. Sperling Reich
- Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19On the morning of March 12th of this year, Leon Newnham, the Chief Executive Officer of Vista Cinema, woke up to discover much of his hard work over the past several weeks would be for naught. The growing coronavirus pandemic... The post Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.J. Sperling Reich
- Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging YearTo say that 2020 has been a bad year for cinema operators and theatrical film distributors would be quite the understatement. With COVID-19 shuttering most of the world’s movie theaters, global box office is down well over 70% from last... The post Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging Year appeared first on Celluloid […]J. Sperling Reich
- The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They ReopenExhibitors are dying to reopen movie theatres. Studios are dying to release blockbuster films. But will fans be ready to risk dying to see them? That’s the dilemma facing our industry in what could be a cruel summer of dashed... The post The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They Reopen appeared first on […]Michael Giltz
- Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19As someone who made a living in the movie industry for over two decades and now writes about it, it pains me to admit this: I’m scared for what it’ll look like this time next year. I know, we’ve been... The post Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19 appeared first on Celluloid […]Jim Amos
- EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus ShutdownFrom the very moment in mid-March when the COVID-19 pandemic forced most cinemas around the world to shut their doors, they began to contemplate not only when they could reopen, but how they could do so in a way that... The post EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus Shutdown […]J. Sperling Reich
- When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie TheatreThese haven’t been a pleasant two months for the movie industry. Those of us who follow the film business, or simply just love movies, have watched as moviegoing has been completely upended, along with the rest of the entertainment sector,... The post When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie Theatre […]Jim Amos
- UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in EuropeInternational cinema trade body UNIC has launched a comprehensive guide to help cinemas across Europe, with detailed information about cinema closures, possible re-opening dates as well as overviews of public funding initiatives and support. UNIC has also been active in... The post UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in Europe appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown“Electric tiaras” are what theatre historian Ben M. Hall called the movie marquee. The cinema marquee and its readograph – the backlit sign written with moveable letters – is as important as the movie poster. Originally a rectangular sign, its... The post Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep GoingIt’s been a long old year, this week. It’s a sobering thought that our industry, like many others, temporarily doesn’t exist. In a little more than a week we at Celluloid Junkie have gone from tracking and reporting on the... The post “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep Going appeared first on Celluloid […]Claire Beswick
- CTC Extends FREE Community Membership To Support Recovery Of Global Cinema Industry. 2021/10/18Cinema Technology Community (CTC), the not-for-profit independent trade organisation has announced a final extension to its free membership level to help support the global cinema technology community. In March 2020, CTC created its Community Membership scheme allowing cinema professionals to gain an initial six month’s free access to all members-only content including presentations, white […]
- BAFTA chooses CinemaNext as Official Projection & Sound Supplier and Integrator 2021/10/18CinemaNext, the European, Middle Eastern & African specialist in cinema exhibitor services, is delighted to have been chosen by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) to be their official Projection and Sound supplier and integrator. Located in London, 195 Piccadilly is the home of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts […]
- The power of partnerships – free online event for community cinemas! from Cinemas for All 2021/10/15SUNDAY 31 OCTOBER 2021, 11:00AM-13:30PM Do you want to develop the audience of your community cinema and raise your profile? Interested in how to find and build relationships with partners that could help take your cinema to the next level? Join Cinema For All for our first On the Ground Scotland event, as we explore […]
- Fight to save Art Deco cinema hidden above Bristol pub – BBC News 2021/10/15Campaigners are pushing to save an Art Deco cinema that is “hidden” above a local pub in Bristol.Save Redfield Cinema want the historic picture house, which closed in 1961, “restored for the local community”. Source: Fight to save Art Deco cinema hidden above Bristol pub – BBC News
- Huge blaze rips through former nightclub and cinema – what we know so far – Liverpool Echo 2021/10/15Fire crews were called at 9.40pm on Wednesday to the building in Conway Street in Birkenhead. Source: Huge blaze rips through former nightclub and cinema – what we know so far – Liverpool Echo
- The best designed cinemas in Ireland – old and new 2021/10/15Cinema as an art form will always find a way to survive. Alongside the idea of content, though, we need cinemas to love as places in themselves, somewhere we visit to trigger memories like those Scorsese found as a young cinephile at the 8th Street Playhouse in New York City. Here are some of the […]
- Norfolk nostalgia: A look at cinema queues through the decades | Eastern Daily Press 2021/10/15After a tough 18 months for the cinema industry, No Time to Die is drawing crowds back to the big screen for Daniel Craig’s final outing as James Bond. But it is not the first time the people of Norfolk have appeared in their droves to see a new release. Here is a look back […]
- Willmott Dixon wins £6.7m contract for Leicester’s arts hub 2021/10/15Willmott Dixon has won a £6.7m contract to extend and improve Leicester’s renowned Phoenix cinema and art centreThe arts hub project, which has been procured via SCAPE, has funding support and investment from the Arts Council England and Leicester City Council.It extends the existing facility by adding two new cinema screens, allowing it to become […]
- The lost cinemas of Leeds now hiding in plain sight – Leeds Live 2021/10/15You may have walked past one of these ten historic cinemas yourself… Source: The lost cinemas of Leeds now hiding in plain sight – Leeds Live
- Green’s Playhouse: Remembering the magic of Dundee’s ‘super-cinema’ 2021/10/15Green’s Playhouse was the Dundee ‘super-cinema’ that dominated the city skyline with its 85-foot-tall steel and glass tower. Source: Green’s Playhouse: Remembering the magic of Dundee’s ‘super-cinema’
- Cineworld Ashford gets new-look foyer as James Bond No Time To Die released 2021/10/15A refurbishment of the foyer at Ashford’s Cineworld has been completed in time for the latest James Bond film – and has seen the removal of a huge mirrored ceiling.Contractors have been sprucing up the Eureka Leisure Park site in recent months, working on a long-awaited IMAX and 4DX extension and upgrading all 12 screens […]
- West Hampstead residents concerned over O2 Centre plans | Hampstead Highgate Express 2021/10/15Proposals for the O2 Centre site on Finchley Road have been altered to include space for a gym, cinema and community garden following consultation with residents. Source: West Hampstead residents concerned over O2 Centre plans | Hampstead Highgate Express
- Amazing Lightpool festival returns to this Lancashire town | Lancashire Telegraph 2021/10/15Blackpool’s award-winning Lightpool Festival is back for 2021 – and it’s bigger, bolder and brighter than ever. The 16-night programme, which will run from October 15-30, features a spectacular mix of extraordinary light installations, live performance and 3D projection shows. The festival, which is free to access and staged across a range of indoor and […]
- Panasonic announces the Lumix BS1H full-frame cinema camera – NotebookCheck.net 2021/10/15The Lumix BS1H is one of the latest in the category of those powerful cameras that look as much like a box as possible, the better to become the center of a full cinema- or documentary-grade set-up with peripherals such as external monitors and lenses stuck to it. However, Panasonic also touts this new model […]
- What Camera Features Would You Be Lost Without? | Fstoppers 2021/10/15Experienced photographers only need the basic camera settings of focusing, metering and exposure. It’s necessary having a grasp of these fundamentals, but extra features and technologies make our lives a lot easier. Here are ten I need. What are yours? Source: What Camera Features Would You Be Lost Without? | Fstoppers
- Sony Mavica FD5 Retro Review: The Camera That Used Floppy Disks | PetaPixel 2021/10/15Back in the mid to late 1990s, digital cameras had a storage problem: they either used expensive memory cards or built-in memory with limited capacity and awkward cables. Both were holding back the adoption of consumer digital photography, so in 1997 Sony came up with an alternative so cunning that by the end of the […]
- Anita Pratap on the great Norwegian vault that preserves the world’s memory – The Week 2021/10/15What does “Piql” stand for? Some clues: It does not mean anything; it rhymes with pickle, and its goal is to preserve. But what it preserves and how it preserves it is a hi-tech tribute to human ingenuity. Says Piql Founder Rune Bjerkestrand: “We preserve world memory”.That sounds incomprehensible and impossible to do. Where would […]
- Oscars 2022: Best Cinematography Predictions | IndieWire 2021/10/15Big screen event movies are back with “Dune,” “No Time to Die,” and “West Side Story.” But there is no shortage of eye candy. Source: Oscars 2022: Best Cinematography Predictions | IndieWire
- Film Reels Dredged from the Sea Become an Eerie Meditation on Mortality 2021/10/15Bill Morrison’s new documentary The Village Detective: A Song Cycle is an eerie meditation on mortality made from forgotten parts of cinema history. Source: Film Reels Dredged from the Sea Become an Eerie Meditation on Mortality
- Shooting 35mm panoramic photographs with the Pentax 67 – EMULSIVE 2021/10/15I first heard about the 24x65mm panoramic format when I bought my Fujifilm GFX50S a few years back. The digital medium format camera is able to shoot in 24×65 cropped mode whilst keeping the raw file intact and uncropped. I thought it was fun to shoot but I didn’t really commit to the format that […]
Drive-In Cinema News
- Twilight Cinema: Drive-In Movies at Long Beach City College (PCC) - Kidsguide 2021/10/20SATURDAYS, THROUGH DECEMBER 18, 2021. Join the Port for a new season of Twilight Cinema – socially distanced drive-in movies at the parking lot of ...
- Walmart Drive-in Theater - League City - Showtimes 2021/10/20Walmart Drive-in Theater - League City, League City movie times and showtimes. Movie theater information and online movie tickets.
- Mendon Twin Drive-in Movie: Venom: Let There Be Carnage - AmericanTowns.com 2021/10/20Mendon Twin Drive-in Movie: Venom: Let There Be Carnage ... Tom Hardy returns to the big screen as the lethal protector Venom, one of MARVEL's greatest ...
- Mid Week Communion, Alvaston: St.Michael's, Derby, 20 October 2021 - Stay Happening 2021/10/20Tue Oct 19 2021 at 04:45 pm The Scary Spooky Halloween Drive-In Cinema Night - Coco. Slice Of India Restaurant. Hangul Introduction class.
- Harrisburg Drive In 2021/10/20Pennsylvania was an early riser among the drive-in movie theater states. drive for about 60 minutes. For Sale: 350000 - Residential, 4 bed, ...
- Book Tickets for other movies at MPT DDX Drive in Cinema: Bhopal - BookMyShow 2021/10/20MPT DDX Drive in Cinema: Bhopal. MPT Lake View Residency, Shymala Hills, Near Hotel Ashoka Lake View, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh 462002, India.
- OLVP FUN Drive-In Movie Night! | Our Lady of the Visitation Parish, Germantown, MD 2021/10/20OLVP FUN Drive-In Movie Night! happening at Our Lady of the Visitation Parish, 14139 Seneca Road, Germantown, United States on Sat Nov 27 2021 at ...
- Frightful 80s Drive-in Cinema for those thirsty for night out | The National Tribune 2021/10/20On the eve of Halloween, Georges River Council is bringing back it's Frightful 80s Drive-in Cinema at Donnelly Park in Connells Point for a ...
- Twin Falls Drive-in Movie Theaters - Amazon AWS 2021/10/20The glen drive in theater started showing great movies in 1958! Live music events and more. Well it's good great parking, nice people to deal with ...
- Caldwell Drive In Movie Theater - Amazon AWS 2021/10/20Caldwell Drive In Movie Theater ... spectrum regal edwards nampa gateway cinemark majestic cinemas village cinema regal edwards boise & imax.
- Walmart Drive-in Theater - Akron - Tribute Movies 2021/10/20Movie times for Walmart Drive-in Theater - Akron, 2887 S Arlington Rd, Akron, OH, 44312.
- Celebration cinema lansing 2021/10/20unless Book now at 32 restaurants near Celebration Cinema And Imax Theatre on OpenTable. Grandville, MI 49418. Celebration Cinema's drive-in event ...
- Walmart Drive-in Theater - Amelia - Tribute Movies 2021/10/20Movie times for Walmart Drive-in Theater - Amelia, 1815 E Ohio Pike, Amelia, OH, 45102.
- Walmart Drive-in Theater - Topeka - Tribute Movies 2021/10/20Movie times for Walmart Drive-in Theater - Topeka, 1301 SW 37th St, Topeka, KS, 66611.
- Walmart Drive-in Theater - Madison - Tribute Movies 2021/10/20Movie times for Walmart Drive-in Theater - Madison, 2232 Gallatin Pike N, Madison, TN, 37115.
- Walmart Drive-in Theater - Evansville 1341 - Tribute Movies 2021/10/20Movie times for Walmart Drive-in Theater - Evansville 1341, 335 S Red Bank Road, Evansville, IN, 47712.
- Halloween drive-in cinema launched as abandoned Ayrshire landmark to show spooky ... 2021/10/20One of Ayrshire's landmarks will be transformed into a drive-in cinema next week.Abandoned Loudoun Castle is set to provide the spooky backdrop to ...
- Films + tv + drive-ins in Austin on October 19th, 2021 - Do512 2021/10/20Austin Film Society The World of Apu · AFS Cinema. 1. 1. The Blair Witch Project - Forest Screen · Blue Starlite Drive In.
- Tamworth Drive-in Cinema presents Jaws! - Events - Facebook 2021/10/20Just when you thought it was safe to head back to the cinema, Tamworth Borough Council Arts & Events Team brought back the deadly Jaws for an ...
- CINEMAS BH - DRDAVIDBLUE.COM 2021/10/20MUKTA A2 Cinemas announces the launch of "Drive Going to the cinema should be fun for everyone. That's why we offer you a range of accessibility ...