This page is designed to pull together as much information, resources, and news relating to Coronavirus specifically within the cinema industry.
Please feel free to let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org of any other information and resources that you may be aware of:
General Corona Virus Information And Resources
All these resources and links are the Government related and similar sources relating to the virus and general advice:
- The official UK Government Coronavirus information website.
- The United Nations News page on the topic.
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics – providing the historical content of pandemics.
- Ukie COVID-19 roundup: Government and business support has a great summary of the aforementioned Government and business support.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. Includes an interactive global map with all the latest data on the Coronavirus cases.
- Protective Measures.
Individual Cinema Organisations/Company Information and Support Pages
Most of the individual membership organisations and similar have pages with specifically tailored resources:
- FAN – The Bigger Picture – extensive information page.
- Cinema Technology Community is offering free community membership for 6 months
- Cinema for All have a guide to creating virtual online Film Clubs.
- Cinema for All – advice and support whilst we stay at home.
- Independent Cinema Office Blog – What Cinemas Can Do Right Now.
- Air Screen Corona virus page
- Event Cinema Association Coronavirus Advice and Information
- Giant Screen Cinema COVID-19 Resource Page
- BECTU Covid-19 Adice and Information.
- Film & TV Charity Covid-19 advice page.
- UKCA Coronavirus Page.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- BFI – Answering Questions From the Screen Sectors.
- BFI Coronavirus Update.
- The Big Picture Corvid-19 Report.
- Screen has compiled an extensive list of all the ongoing international initiatives launched to support the international film industry at this time.
- Into Film – film guide to use at home.
- CICAE – CORONAVIRUS: SITUATION OF CINEMAS
- Independent Cinema Office sector survey results report.
- Box Office Coronavirus Pages.
- The Big Picture Page.
Cinema Sector-Specific Coronavirus News Stories
All the stories being published about Coronavirus across the sector:
- Box Office Pro Coronavirus Stories
- Celluloid Junkie Stories
- Hollywood Reporter.
- Mad Cornish Projectionist Coronavirus Stories.
- Variety Coronavirus Stories.
Equipment and Technical Advice
All these links are guides and resources to looking after and maintaining the technical equipment in the cinema.
- Equipment Shutdown Guide from CinemaNext
- Cinema Technology Community – Covid-19 Closure; Technology Tips for Equipment Upkeep and Preparation for Re-Opening.
- Cinionic’s guide to equipment shutdown.
- NEC Best Pracise Guidance for Cinema Equipment.
- FilmTech Forum – Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown
- GoFilex Shutdown Technical Details.
- GDC Technology Server Shutdown Technical Notice.
- Christie Closure Details.
- UNIC Cinemas Technical recommendations for cinema operators during closure.
- Technical guidance for prevention of Coronavirus spread during cinema reopening – UK China Film.
- QUBE Digitial Cinema Server Maintenance for Extended Shutdown.
- Atom Seating guide to deep cleaning their seats
- Preparing for a Cinema extended closure period and explaining why its so important
- Digital Cinema Report: Rebooting Cinemas When the Pandemic Ends
- Vista Reopening Tool Kit
Fundraising Related Links
There are a number of different funds being setup to help support the sector:
Retail/Property/Commercial Related Material
Information and articles directly related to Retail/Property/Commercial:
- What can UK retailers learn from their Chinese counterparts in the midst of COVID-19?
- What food retailers should do during the coronavirus crisis
Online Training Courses
There are plenty of online training courses being made available during this time, here are a few cinema specific ones:
- Christie University Catalog.
- Dolby Cinema Product Training Registration.
- Independent Cinema Office online learning courses.
- JBL/Harman Professional Online Training Sessons.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- Trinnov Audio Offers Cinema Downtime Customer Overview & Engineer Calibration Training
- A free Film Distribution Online Learning Course.
- QSC – Q-SYS Level 1 Cinema
Miscellaneous Resources and Information
This section is for any useful or relevant links that don’t fit anywhere else:
- Looking Forward: Assessing the Domestic Theatrical Situation.
- McKinsey – Survery US consumer sentiment during the Coronavirus crisis
- Calison Technology, better known for 3D products are offering disposable medical mask($0.55 for MOQ 1000pcs) and N95 mask($1.80 for MOQ 500pcs) available in stock, more details pls contact me via email@example.com.
- HR Advice for managers during the Coronavirus.
- COVID-19: Answering questions from the screen sectors.
- UK Cinema Network Facebook Page – is a peer to peer network for those who work in cinemas / multi-arts venues. An opportunity to share news, offer support and talk about new opportunities coming up.
- Social Distancing Festival. Not entirely cinema-related, but provides list of some of the material that is available to stream online, for when you need a break.
- Independent Cinema Office – list of Coronovirus resources.
A number of different organisations are putting on webinars to help share knowledge and information during this period. Any that are known about are listed below:
- Together Films – hosted a webinar on Monday 23rd March and Monday 30th March on the range of digital resources available to power community impact screenings during this time. Recordings of WEEK 1 and WEEK 2 can be found on the links.
- Cinema InFlux Webinar Series: have a weekly series of webinars, with previous weeks available to listen to.
- CJ Cinema Summit – A weekly webinar series, with previous editions available to listen to again online.
- Boxoffice Pro have a recap of the summit held on 26th March.
- CineConf: WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown, have a series of webinars. You can watch the first one on YouTube here.
- BoxOffice Pro – Podcasts.
- Park Circus_Comscore UK Webinar Presentation. The presentation includes details of Park Circus’ Corvid-19 response, their Classic Cinema Programming plan and how cinemas can book it.
Online Events This Week
Each week there are a variety of different online webinars being run by different people and companies, so here is your weekly guide to what is happening, with links to register:
The Big Picture Infographics
The Big Picture have been creating informative infographics and helping to disseminate information from across the sector, along with supporting this page. Also have a look at their Corvid-19 Report:
- Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19On the morning of March 12th of this year, Leon Newnham, the Chief Executive Officer of Vista Cinema, woke up to discover much of his hard work over the past several weeks would be for naught. The growing coronavirus pandemic... The post Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.J. Sperling Reich
- Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging YearTo say that 2020 has been a bad year for cinema operators and theatrical film distributors would be quite the understatement. With COVID-19 shuttering most of the world’s movie theaters, global box office is down well over 70% from last... The post Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging Year appeared first on Celluloid […]J. Sperling Reich
- The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They ReopenExhibitors are dying to reopen movie theatres. Studios are dying to release blockbuster films. But will fans be ready to risk dying to see them? That’s the dilemma facing our industry in what could be a cruel summer of dashed... The post The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They Reopen appeared first on […]Michael Giltz
- Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19As someone who made a living in the movie industry for over two decades and now writes about it, it pains me to admit this: I’m scared for what it’ll look like this time next year. I know, we’ve been... The post Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19 appeared first on Celluloid […]Jim Amos
- EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus ShutdownFrom the very moment in mid-March when the COVID-19 pandemic forced most cinemas around the world to shut their doors, they began to contemplate not only when they could reopen, but how they could do so in a way that... The post EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus Shutdown […]J. Sperling Reich
- When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie TheatreThese haven’t been a pleasant two months for the movie industry. Those of us who follow the film business, or simply just love movies, have watched as moviegoing has been completely upended, along with the rest of the entertainment sector,... The post When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie Theatre […]Jim Amos
- UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in EuropeInternational cinema trade body UNIC has launched a comprehensive guide to help cinemas across Europe, with detailed information about cinema closures, possible re-opening dates as well as overviews of public funding initiatives and support. UNIC has also been active in... The post UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in Europe appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown“Electric tiaras” are what theatre historian Ben M. Hall called the movie marquee. The cinema marquee and its readograph – the backlit sign written with moveable letters – is as important as the movie poster. Originally a rectangular sign, its... The post Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep GoingIt’s been a long old year, this week. It’s a sobering thought that our industry, like many others, temporarily doesn’t exist. In a little more than a week we at Celluloid Junkie have gone from tracking and reporting on the... The post “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep Going appeared first on Celluloid […]Claire Beswick
- Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19In these days of self-isolation, “vectoring” only with those you must, going out to the cinema is not an option – or is it? As the coronavirus closes multiplexes, movie theatres, outdoor screenings and specialist cinematic events in the west,... The post Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- Godzilla vs. Kong provides hope to cinema industry with post-COVID box office record 2021/04/17Godzilla vs. Kong is a huge increase on Wonder Woman 1984, which held the previous post-coronavirus opening weekend record. After an unprecedented year for Hollywood, with tentpole after tentpole delayed due to COVID-19, a strong opening weekend for the lizard-on-ape spectacular suggests plenty are itching to get back to their local picture house. Source: https://news.sky.com/story/godzilla
- Saudi cinema chain announces $218.6m expansion plan 2021/04/17Saudi Arabia’s first home-grown cinema chain announced on Sunday a SR820 million ($218.6 million) expansion plan for 2021. MUVI Cinemas intends to grow to 307 screens nationwide over the next 12 months, launching 23 new sites in eight key Saudi regions, adding 204 screens and 22,872 seats to its portfolio. The planned expansion will bring […]
- First weekend for movie goers back inside Prime Cinema was a success 2021/04/17Sunday is the 3rd night since Prime Cinema in Red Bluff opened its doors to the public for indoor movies. Owner of Prime Cinema Brian Young told KRCR they were very happy with the turnout of people returning to the movies. He said they averaged about 100 people total for both Friday and Saturday night. […]
- How the UK became the most popular location for this autumn’s blockbusters 2021/04/17With some £1.2bn spent on new productions, this is boom time for the UK TV and film industry. Source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/
- 2,700 UK attractions handed £400m to bring on summer – full list of festivals and events 2021/04/17More than 2,700 cultural and heritage bodies – from the National Football Museum in Manchester to Glastonbury Festival – are getting a slice of cash designed to boost the sector as it prepares for the easing of lockdown restrictions. Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/events-attractions-share-400m-fund-23839129
- BBC tours UK for drama package 2021/04/17UK pubcaster the BBC has commissioned eight new scripted series from Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England, including a thriller from the writers of Humans. Source: https://www.c21media.net/news/bbc-tours-uk-for-drama-package/
- How a “flattened hierarchy” helped Sarah Gavron bring Bafta contender ‘Rocks’ to life 2021/04/17It took three years for an all-female team to create London teen-girl drama Rocks. Screen talks to the feature’s Bafta-nominated filmmakers. Source: https://www.screendaily.com/features/
- How I learned to stop worrying and enjoy the Marvel Cinematic Universe 2021/04/17I devoured 20 of the films in a month-long frenzy. But I can’t quite shake off the guilt that comes with this guilty pleasure… Source: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/27/marvel-cinematic-universe-films
- Buxton Opera House, Buxton International Festival and Y Not Festival receive government grants 2021/04/17The venue and events will receive a share of £400 million given out nationally from the fund, which is awarded through Arts Council England, Historic England, National Lottery Heritage Fund and the British Film Institute. A total of £3.8 million has been given to 45 organisations from across Derbyshire as part of the latest round […]
- The success of the silent film festival 2021/04/17HippFest held its first online festival last month and has declared it a great success. Their fans watched 220 films and over 80 musicians took part in the five day programme. Source: https://theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2021/04/the-success-of-the-silent-film-festival/
- Netflix plans to clean up film sets to cut carbon footprint 2021/04/17Netflix, the maker of the Attenborough climate documentary, plans to banish dirty diesel generators from film sets and use more virtual production techniques, after a review found that more than half of the company’s carbon emissions came from film production. Source: https://www.ft.com/content/0f8e596e-d5e7-4d1d-9472-d7c4345131dc
- BBC adds drama from ‘Salisbury Poisonings’ writers & hires BFI exec for talent initiative 2021/04/17The BBC in the UK has appointed a British Film Institute (BFI) exec as head of its new writers room and unveiled a raft of new dramas, including a show from the creatives behind The Salisbury Poisonings. Jessica Loveland becomes head of new writing at the BBC’s writersroom in Salford, UK, and has. remit to […]
- THE MOST OVERRATED MOVIES AND TV SERIES OF ALL TIME 2021/04/17Have you ever watched a film or a TV show highly praised by both critics and fans, and ended up not getting all the fuss? If this has happened to you once or twice, then you have probably realized that some of the most acclaimed and most-watched movies and TV shows are actually overrated. While […]
- 10 Best Alfred Hitchcock Movies on Netflix 2021/04/17Numerous extraordinary specialists go undervalued during their lifetimes. However, crowds ran to Hitchcock’s motion pictures by the thousand for sixty years, delighting in the energy. Hitchcock passed on calmly in his rest at his home in Bel Air in April 1980, giving up quite possibly the most renowned inheritances in film history. To commend the […]
- Shell’s Sponsorship of Science Museum Climate Exhibition Sparks Outrage 2021/04/17The institution is already under intense pressure from campaigners over its existing relationships with oil companies. Source: https://www.desmog.com/2021/04/16/shell-major-sponsor-climate-science-museum/
- ‘The Crown’ season 5 to start filming in July 2021/04/17Critically-acclaimed Netflix period drama series The Crown is gearing up to shoot its 5th season in July, according to a Variety report. The iconic British royals will be portrayed by a new set of actors, with Elizabeth Debicki playing Princess Diana, Dominick West starring as Prince Charles, Imelda Stauton as the Queen, and Lesley Manville […]
- Lakeland Arts in Cumbria receive part of £1.57b Recovery Fund 2021/04/17Lakeland Arts in Cumbria has received a grant of £405,920 from the Government’s £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund to help the organisation recover and reopen. Source: https://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/
- £56,600 grant boost for Oldham Coliseum from Government’s Culture Recovery Fund 2021/04/17A WELCOME boost of £56,000 has been granted to Oldham Coliseum Theatre from the second round of the Government’s Culture Recovery Fund. This award will support future productions, both online and on stage, investment in the theatre’s team and opportunities for freelance artists. Source: https://saddind.co.uk/
- Do we really need diversity quotas at The Oscars? 2021/04/17The revised criterion proves how self-defeating the Academy’s efforts at subverting the whole OscarsSoWhite debacle have been. I mean what best way to understand the blurring lines between diversity and tokenism than these “forced diversity” standards. It’s a case of classic Hollywood taking the high road to make the marginalized feel petty. Take the La […]
- Beyond Brontes offers young people a step into the TV & film industry 2021/04/17AN initiative aimed at promoting diversity in the film and TV industry is recruiting again. Screen Yorkshire has opened applications for its third Beyond Brontes training programme. Young people aged 18 to 24 can apply for a place on the scheme, which is designed to widen access to jobs within the industry. Source: https://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/
Drive-In Cinema News
- Ronnies Cinema - royalpiscine.it 2021/04/17This is the OFFICIAL Home Page of the Skyview Drive-In Movie Theater, located in Belleville, Illinois. Our Location. Oceny, sezony, odcinki, obsada, ...
- drive covid lille - TIPOS Consulting 2021/04/17"U.S. Movie Theaters Aim to Stay Open Amid Coronavirus Concerns", "Drive-in movie theaters see resurgence during coronavirus", "Hollywood movie ...
- Anymovie Google Drive 2021/04/17Find the movies showing at theaters near you and buy movie tickets at Fandango. com is Our New. "Any Video Converter is an amazing downloading ...
- blue sky cinema wakefield - X-ONE 2021/04/17Old Movies, New Movies and Classic Movies will be shown – allowing cinema and theatre goers to have fun at the drive in. Blue Sky Outdoor Cinema ...
- blue sky cinema odsal 2021/04/17ODSAL Stadium will reopen as a drive-in cinema next month – kicking off with a series of classic Hollywood and Bollywood films. UK ALLIVE IS HERE ...
- blue sky cinema dunsfold - Buccellati 2021/04/17Our Movie Team looks forward to welcoming you to the ultimate drive-in experience. The Blue Sky Outdoor Cinema experience uses high definition ...
- West Cineplex 2021/04/17Cinemas are available for hire for your very own private screenings or ... Cascade Drive-in 1100 E. Cape West Cinema Cape Girardeau, MO Open ...
- Outdoor cinema showings in Cheshire this summer 2021/04/17The Christie are hosting a series of drive-in movies over the Bank Holiday weekend in the woodlands of Arley Hall & Gardens. With state of the art sound ...
- Rgv Theatre 2021/04/17New Jersey's last drive-in theater, Hazlet's Route 35 Drive-In, closed in 1991. Find showtimes and movie theaters near zip code 78501 or Mcallen, TX.
- Local movie theaters are quietly reopening with limited hours, cautious optimism 2021/04/17The two local AMC theaters, plus Aurora Theatre, the Screening Room, Hamburg Palace and Transit Drive-In are all reopened. The locally owned ...
- Films + tv + drive-ins in Austin on April 16th, 2021 2021/04/17Check out films + tv + drive-ins on April 16, 2021 in Austin with Do512. ... A NEW AGE Drive-In... The Community Cinema at Mobile Loaves and Fishes.
- CORPORATE & GROUPS | Starlite Drive-in Cinema 2021/04/17Reward your staff - say thank you with movie tickets. Anytime use flexitickets for groups. Discounts available.
- Drive-in cinemas and Covid-compliant hedonism: welcome to 2021's summer of arts - News Break 2021/04/17It is difficult to imagine – as we trudge past shuttered cinemas and boarded-up gig venues, theatres still displaying faded posters for 2019's ...
- Actor Vivek, a green warrior who targeted to plant one crore saplings 2021/04/17He had launched the 'Green Kalam' project, a massive tree planting drive, in 2011 and had planted nearly 33.23 lakh saplings so far. Share Article ...
- “Vivek still lives with us”, a meme from his comedy film goes viral 2021/04/17The viral meme is all praise for the actor's contribution to the tree plantation drive in the state. It also says that Vivek still lives with us through those ...
- #BigStory: Will the barometer to gauge a film's success have to change given the trials of the new ... 2021/04/17#BigStory: Will the barometer to gauge a film's success have to change given ... the staggered vaccination drive that segregated people according to age, ... Considering how theatres, which, with their seating arrangements, are the ...
- Drive-in Cinema Weekend - Visit Crieff 2021/04/17Strathearn Arts and Comrie Croft are hosting a drive-in cinema weekend between Friday the 4th and Saturday 6th June. Visit www.strathearnarts.org ...
- Interview With 'Lurking Woods' Director, Rizal Halim 2021/04/17PopHorror: A double feature is going to be running at your local Drive-In and you get to program the films; which two movies make the bill for your ...
- Drive In Cinema,... - Malawi - Nyasaland historical moments | فيسبوك 2021/04/17Drive In Cinema, Blantyre. (Now no trace ) Can anyone provide 'Google Earth' location of this site please. (Tap on photo for previous comments)
- Blank Drive in Movie Sign (Page 1) - Line.17QQ.com 2021/04/17... Marquee Stock Illustration,Drive In Cinema,Blank Drive-In Movie Screen Stock Photo,Drive In Theater Sign Banner Stock Illustration and more...