The Duke of York’s in Preston Road, Brighton, is undergoing six weeks of work to its historic exterior.

Now the builders have uncovered the original sculpture work on the outside of the building.

Built in 1910, the Duke of York’s lays claim to being the oldest operating cinema in the country but years of redecoration had left the original building covered up by paint.

Members of the team at Fry and Sons, which is carrying out the work, were surprised by what they found.