Stafford Cinema is “under threat” once again – just two months after being saved for the second time.
The historic venue reopened on October 25, eight months after it closed having been saved the first time round by AJH Cinema in April 2018.
The three-screen cinema, in Newport Road, had been left with an uncertain future when it first closed at the end of 2017.
At the time the new owners knew they were competing with the new Odeon Luxe complex being built just yards away in Bridge Street as part of the new Riverside development.
And now owner Sam Lavington said he was “hopeful” the 1930s cinema would remain open if people keep attending, but said it was “under threat of demolition”.
He added: “From January 2020 we are setting up the business of Stafford Cinema as The Cinema Heritage Trust.
“The cinema name will remain the same. Our aim is to save this wonderful building and purchase it for the people of Stafford.
“I alone cannot keep up the financial costs on my own much longer, however since opening the audience has gone from strength to strength.
“I can only thank you one and all, plus my very hard working team.”
He added: “It’s under threat of demolition and lots needs to be done to try and drag it into the 21st Century.
“I have patched it up and done heating for this winter. It is hoped to improve on this and screen three is coming along slowly.
“This has a way to go to fully repair and treat walls, toilets and the sound system has got to be totally replaced.”
The news comes after the £6.5 million Odeon Luxe opened in the town in November 2018.
It boasts a state-of-the-art iSense screen which, measuring 15m x 6.2m, is taller than a double-decker bus.