This page is designed to pull together as much information, resources, and news relating to Coronavirus specifically within the cinema industry.
Please feel free to let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org of any other information and resources that you may be aware of:
General Corona Virus Information And Resources
All these resources and links are the Government related and similar sources relating to the virus and general advice:
- The official UK Government Coronavirus information website.
- The United Nations News page on the topic.
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics – providing the historical content of pandemics.
- Ukie COVID-19 roundup: Government and business support has a great summary of the aforementioned Government and business support.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. Includes an interactive global map with all the latest data on the Coronavirus cases.
- Protective Measures.
Individual Cinema Organisations/Company Information and Support Pages
Most of the individual membership organisations and similar have pages with specifically tailored resources:
- FAN – The Bigger Picture – extensive information page.
- Cinema Technology Community is offering free community membership for 6 months
- Cinema for All have a guide to creating virtual online Film Clubs.
- Cinema for All – advice and support whilst we stay at home.
- Independent Cinema Office Blog – What Cinemas Can Do Right Now.
- Air Screen Corona virus page
- Event Cinema Association Coronavirus Advice and Information
- Giant Screen Cinema COVID-19 Resource Page
- BECTU Covid-19 Adice and Information.
- Film & TV Charity Covid-19 advice page.
- UKCA Coronavirus Page.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- BFI – Answering Questions From the Screen Sectors.
- BFI Coronavirus Update.
- The Big Picture Corvid-19 Report.
- Screen has compiled an extensive list of all the ongoing international initiatives launched to support the international film industry at this time.
- Into Film – film guide to use at home.
- CICAE – CORONAVIRUS: SITUATION OF CINEMAS
- Independent Cinema Office sector survey results report.
- Box Office Coronavirus Pages.
- The Big Picture Page.
Cinema Sector-Specific Coronavirus News Stories
All the stories being published about Coronavirus across the sector:
- Box Office Pro Coronavirus Stories
- Celluloid Junkie Stories
- Hollywood Reporter.
- Mad Cornish Projectionist Coronavirus Stories.
- Variety Coronavirus Stories.
Equipment and Technical Advice
All these links are guides and resources to looking after and maintaining the technical equipment in the cinema.
- Equipment Shutdown Guide from CinemaNext
- Cinema Technology Community – Covid-19 Closure; Technology Tips for Equipment Upkeep and Preparation for Re-Opening.
- Cinionic’s guide to equipment shutdown.
- NEC Best Pracise Guidance for Cinema Equipment.
- FilmTech Forum – Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown
- GoFilex Shutdown Technical Details.
- GDC Technology Server Shutdown Technical Notice.
- Christie Closure Details.
- UNIC Cinemas Technical recommendations for cinema operators during closure.
- Technical guidance for prevention of Coronavirus spread during cinema reopening – UK China Film.
- QUBE Digitial Cinema Server Maintenance for Extended Shutdown.
- Atom Seating guide to deep cleaning their seats
- Preparing for a Cinema extended closure period and explaining why its so important
- Digital Cinema Report: Rebooting Cinemas When the Pandemic Ends
- Vista Reopening Tool Kit
Fundraising Related Links
There are a number of different funds being setup to help support the sector:
Retail/Property/Commercial Related Material
Information and articles directly related to Retail/Property/Commercial:
- What can UK retailers learn from their Chinese counterparts in the midst of COVID-19?
- What food retailers should do during the coronavirus crisis
Online Training Courses
There are plenty of online training courses being made available during this time, here are a few cinema specific ones:
- Christie University Catalog.
- Dolby Cinema Product Training Registration.
- Independent Cinema Office online learning courses.
- JBL/Harman Professional Online Training Sessons.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- Trinnov Audio Offers Cinema Downtime Customer Overview & Engineer Calibration Training
- A free Film Distribution Online Learning Course.
- QSC – Q-SYS Level 1 Cinema
Miscellaneous Resources and Information
This section is for any useful or relevant links that don’t fit anywhere else:
- Looking Forward: Assessing the Domestic Theatrical Situation.
- McKinsey – Survery US consumer sentiment during the Coronavirus crisis
- Calison Technology, better known for 3D products are offering disposable medical mask($0.55 for MOQ 1000pcs) and N95 mask($1.80 for MOQ 500pcs) available in stock, more details pls contact me via email@example.com.
- HR Advice for managers during the Coronavirus.
- COVID-19: Answering questions from the screen sectors.
- UK Cinema Network Facebook Page – is a peer to peer network for those who work in cinemas / multi-arts venues. An opportunity to share news, offer support and talk about new opportunities coming up.
- Social Distancing Festival. Not entirely cinema-related, but provides list of some of the material that is available to stream online, for when you need a break.
- Independent Cinema Office – list of Coronovirus resources.
A number of different organisations are putting on webinars to help share knowledge and information during this period. Any that are known about are listed below:
- Together Films – hosted a webinar on Monday 23rd March and Monday 30th March on the range of digital resources available to power community impact screenings during this time. Recordings of WEEK 1 and WEEK 2 can be found on the links.
- Cinema InFlux Webinar Series: have a weekly series of webinars, with previous weeks available to listen to.
- CJ Cinema Summit – A weekly webinar series, with previous editions available to listen to again online.
- Boxoffice Pro have a recap of the summit held on 26th March.
- CineConf: WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown, have a series of webinars. You can watch the first one on YouTube here.
- BoxOffice Pro – Podcasts.
- Park Circus_Comscore UK Webinar Presentation. The presentation includes details of Park Circus’ Corvid-19 response, their Classic Cinema Programming plan and how cinemas can book it.
Online Events This Week
Each week there are a variety of different online webinars being run by different people and companies, so here is your weekly guide to what is happening, with links to register:
The Big Picture Infographics
The Big Picture have been creating informative infographics and helping to disseminate information from across the sector, along with supporting this page. Also have a look at their Corvid-19 Report:
- Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19On the morning of March 12th of this year, Leon Newnham, the Chief Executive Officer of Vista Cinema, woke up to discover much of his hard work over the past several weeks would be for naught. The growing coronavirus pandemic... The post Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.J. Sperling Reich
- Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging YearTo say that 2020 has been a bad year for cinema operators and theatrical film distributors would be quite the understatement. With COVID-19 shuttering most of the world’s movie theaters, global box office is down well over 70% from last... The post Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging Year appeared first on Celluloid […]J. Sperling Reich
- The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They ReopenExhibitors are dying to reopen movie theatres. Studios are dying to release blockbuster films. But will fans be ready to risk dying to see them? That’s the dilemma facing our industry in what could be a cruel summer of dashed... The post The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They Reopen appeared first on […]Michael Giltz
- Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19As someone who made a living in the movie industry for over two decades and now writes about it, it pains me to admit this: I’m scared for what it’ll look like this time next year. I know, we’ve been... The post Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19 appeared first on Celluloid […]Jim Amos
- EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus ShutdownFrom the very moment in mid-March when the COVID-19 pandemic forced most cinemas around the world to shut their doors, they began to contemplate not only when they could reopen, but how they could do so in a way that... The post EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus Shutdown […]J. Sperling Reich
- When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie TheatreThese haven’t been a pleasant two months for the movie industry. Those of us who follow the film business, or simply just love movies, have watched as moviegoing has been completely upended, along with the rest of the entertainment sector,... The post When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie Theatre […]Jim Amos
- UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in EuropeInternational cinema trade body UNIC has launched a comprehensive guide to help cinemas across Europe, with detailed information about cinema closures, possible re-opening dates as well as overviews of public funding initiatives and support. UNIC has also been active in... The post UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in Europe appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown“Electric tiaras” are what theatre historian Ben M. Hall called the movie marquee. The cinema marquee and its readograph – the backlit sign written with moveable letters – is as important as the movie poster. Originally a rectangular sign, its... The post Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep GoingIt’s been a long old year, this week. It’s a sobering thought that our industry, like many others, temporarily doesn’t exist. In a little more than a week we at Celluloid Junkie have gone from tracking and reporting on the... The post “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep Going appeared first on Celluloid […]Claire Beswick
- Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19In these days of self-isolation, “vectoring” only with those you must, going out to the cinema is not an option – or is it? As the coronavirus closes multiplexes, movie theatres, outdoor screenings and specialist cinematic events in the west,... The post Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- Visitors can step into Van Gogh’s swirling landscapes at Florida’s Dalí Museum 2020/11/26An immersive exhibition of the artist’s most famous works, projected onto large-scale 360° screens, opens this weekend. Source: https://www.theartnewspaper.com/preview/
- NATO Members Discuss Path Forward for Exhibition Industry During Annual Meetings 2020/11/26NATO’s Annual Meetings are usually held in Los Angeles every fall. This year, those meetings were all held virtually. While a lack of in-person interaction with members left a void, we still received a lot of great feedback on how NATO should move forward during these difficult times. Here is a summary of the meetings […]
- The Best Gifts for People Who Miss Broadway, According to Theater-Lovers 2020/11/26While many folks have found new ways to safely enjoy old hobbies in our new era of social distancing, there are a few pastimes that are still hard — if not near impossible — to indulge in. Live theater, of course, is one of them, and even the most optimistic of timelines may not allow […]
- ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ becomes Netflix’s most-watched scripted limited series 2020/11/26Over 62 million member accounts have tuned in to watch the show in the first 28 days of its release. Source: https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/
- Film programmer Barbara Scharres to retire, after nearly 50 years with Chicago’s Gene Siskel Film Center 2020/11/26Barbara Scharres, longtime programming director of the Gene Siskel Film Center, announced her retirement Monday, effective Dec. 31. Her affiliation with the Film Center, a public program of School of the Art Institute of Chicago, goes back nearly a half-century. In the early 1970s, the St. Xavier University and School of the Art Institute graduate […]
- From Beyoncé to the Oscars: Mary Twala, Africa’s queen of cinema 2020/11/26The late South African actor was introduced to a whole new audience in Beyoncé’s Black Is King. But it’s her final film – This Is Not a Burial, It’s a Resurrection – that could be her best work. Source: https://www.theguardian.com/film/
- Islamabad to have a car cinema next month 2020/11/26Residents of Islamabad regularly reach out to the DC on social media, and get promt response on their complaints and suggestions. Recently, a Twitter user shared the idea of holding a car theater in F-9 park every weekend until the second wave of Covid-19 ends. DC Islamabad told him that it is already under consideration. […]
- Cinema Eye Honors Announces First Wave of Noms, Plans to Highlight Films Hurt by Pandemic 2020/11/26At a virtual luncheon held last Thursday, the organization also announced a new initiative, Stay Focused 2021, that it says is “aimed to uplift emerging filmmakers who saw their festival runs impacted by the global pandemic” by “pledging to keep a spotlight on these 12 films, with a goal of creating in-person opportunities for these […]
- Italy puts up Rosi’s ‘Notturno’ for Oscar Cinema: Italy puts up Rosi’s ‘Notturno’ for Oscar 2020/11/26Italy on Tuesday put up Gianfranco Rosi’s ‘Notturno’ for the best foreign film Oscar. The shortlist of 10 films will be announced by the Academy on February 9 next year. The five nominees will be announced on March 15, and the Oscar ceremony will take place in Los Angeles on April 25. ‘Notturno’ (Nocturne) by […]
- CT Middle East Win Events and Entertainment Project of the Year at the 2020 AV Awards 2020/11/26Creative Technology Middle East (CTME) are proud to take home the award for the Events and Entertainment Project of the Year for our work on the Al Wasl Dome Inauguration at this year’s AV Awards 2020. Source: https://www.livedesignonline.com/news/
- Confectionery projection outshines all other light 2020/11/26A total of 20 Digital Projection M-Vision Laser 21,000 units have been put to use in a multimedia facelift for the Roshen confectionery factory in Kiev, Ukraine; one of Eastern Europe’s most recognised institutions. Source: https://www.avinteractive.com/news/projection/
- The Time Corridor exhibition: Europe’s largest continuous projection 2020/11/26Kolmo.eu, Loom on the Moon and Pink Productions designed the multimedia exhibition in the corridor between the National Museum’s new and historical building in Prague. Source: https://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/article/
- Renfrewshire charity scoops national award after creating app for kids to report bullying 2020/11/26A Renfrewshire charity has scooped a national trophy after working with youngsters to develop an app which enables children to report bullying to their school. I Am Me Scotland – based in Paisley – has been handed the Ben Cohen Stand Up Hero award after creating the Keep Safe Kids app, which is set to […]
- Los Angeles Walks Back After-Hours Filming Ban 2020/11/26Los Angeles put out new filming restrictions today, only to quickly walk them back. Officials from the City and County of Los Angeles told FilmLA, one of the main organizations that doles out film permits in the region, earlier today that there would be new restrictions on when exactly filming can take place due to […]
- Streaming service provides respite for filmmakers 2020/11/26WITH cinemas out of action for the foreseeable future due to coronavirus, local filmmakers have to find other platforms to earn revenue and continue their creative work. Many have resorted to social media and over-the-top (OTT) streaming services to release their creations to cover some of the production costs of their films that cannot be […]
- Every Friends Thanksgiving Episode, Ranked 2020/11/26Many sitcoms are known for their holiday-themed episodes, but some have a reputation for doing some holidays, such as Thanksgiving, better than others. For instance, Roseanne would basically release an annual mini horror movie around Halloween, Community got especially inventive for Christmas (such as Season 2’s Emmy-winning stop-motion animation special), and Friends’ Thanksgiving episodes practically define the essence of the holiday […]
- German cinemas to stay closed in December 2020/11/26In a resolution announced late in the evening the politicians agreed to an extension of Germany’s current partial lockdown through the end of December. The so-called “lockdown light” has been in force since November 4 and was due to expire on November 30. Under the measure, doors have closed temporarily on cultural institutions such as […]
- ‘Community treasure’: Rialto Cinemas campaigns to involve moviegoers 2020/11/26Ky Boyd, owner of Rialto Cinemas in Elmwood and El Cerrito, was finally able to relight his neon signs and ticket booths Saturday and Sunday to host Popcorn Pick-Up, even if updated health guidelines prevented his plan to reopen the theaters for Thanksgiving. Boyd, who said his childhood dream was to own a theater, began […]
- ‘Maverick Free Black Cinema’ App Now Available on the Roku Platform and Amazon Fire TV 2020/11/26Maverick Entertainment and Digital Sylvia have officially launched the movie channel ‘Maverick Free Black Cinema’ on the Roku® platform and Amazon Fire TV®, showcasing a library of diverse Black Cinema. Available free to Roku and Amazon Fire TV users, fans can enjoy a vast supply of movies. The channel is easily accessible through the Roku […]
- Google advertising Pixel 5 in the UK with free movies from a ‘Mobile Cinema’ 2020/11/26Like every other phone this year, a key part of the Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5 are 5G speeds. In the UK, Google is running a Map-based “Mobile Cinema” game where you can find free movies as part of a Pixel 5 advertisement. Source: https://9to5google.com/2020/11/25/pixel-5-mobile-cinema/
Drive-In Cinema News
- Retro Drive-in Movies 2020/11/27Classic Drive In Cinema. Drive-In Movie Theater. Drive in Cinema - Dublin. Drive-In Movie Theater. Starlite Drive-in Cinema. Drive-In Movie Theater.
- New East Austin outdoor cinema promises 'ultimate' drive-in movie experience 2020/11/27(CULTUREMAP) – The subsequent era of drive-in film theaters is pulling into East Austin, in line with one firm. Development is about to start in ...
- Home Alone among films as Odsal to reopen as drive-in cinema 2020/11/27ODSAL Stadium will still reopen as a drive-in cinema this week – kicking off with a series of classic films. Bradford Bulls has teamed up with Blue Sky ...
- New East Austin outdoor cinema promises 'ultimate' drive-in movie experience 2020/11/27(CULTUREMAP) – The next generation of drive-in movie theaters is pulling into East Austin, according to one company. Construction is set to begin in ...
- Drive-in Cinema In Islamabad 2020/11/27Drive-in Cinema In Islamabad. November 27, 2020 Leave a comment. Share. Facebook · Twitter · LinkedIn · Pinterest · Drive-in Cinema In Islamabad.
- Screen Grabs: Vintage Clint Eastwood rides again, warts and all 2020/11/27Roxie Virtual Cinema is offering a new restoration of the 1965 Nouvelle ... Tonight, Fri/27, drive-in venue Fort Mason Flix is showing Be Water (more ...
- Capital Development Authority (CDA) Prepares Drive-In Cinema Proposal 2020/11/27As per a press release issued by the organization, the drive-in cinema is estimated to hold 1,000 cars per show. It is said the that, initially, films will ...
- There's a drive-in cinema coming to Bunclody & we have tickets to give away! 2020/11/27Wanna feel festive? The Classic Drive-in Cinema returns to Bunclody Football Club next Friday, December 4th, showing your Xmas favourites on the big ...
- Qatar- European Drive-In Film Festival celebrates cultural diversity 2020/11/27People sitting in their can enjoy watch films in a pleasant outdoor atmosphere. The film gala kicked off with the premiere screening of a Swedish film, The ...
- European Drive-In Film Festival celebrates cultural diversity 2020/11/27Qatar residents from many countries are getting a chance to watch an assorted set of European movies at the ongoing European Drive-In Film Festival ...
- Wisconsin DOT revokes licenses of 2 Columbia County car dealers 2020/11/27Wisconsin DOT revokes licenses of 2 Columbia County car dealers ... DOT said the Petite Cars Inc., 101 Skyline Drive in Arlington, was revoked effective ... in the parking lot of the Palace Cinema Movie Theater, 2830 Hoepker Road, ...
- Pub in the Park's Festive Theatre coming to Hertfordshire this Christmas 2020/11/27From the team behind Tom Kerridge's Pub in the Park food and music festival in St Albans, this summer's Drive & Dine Theatre at the Luton Hoo Estate ...
- Drive in Cinema - Hope Valley Garden Centre - Home Alone (18:15) 2020/11/27A "silent" screening of the Christmas family classic. Drive or cycle to an outdoor cinema screening at Hope Valley Garden Centre.
- Tors Drive-In all set to reopen in Charters Towers 2020/11/27Drive-In Movie Theater Opens in Dubai in Response to COVID-19 Restrictions.
- 2020 Holiday Entertainment Guide: Celebrate the season with Chicago-area theater, dance ... 2020/11/27And many holiday theater and dance staples such as “The Nutcracker,” “A ... Holiday Classics at the Drive-In:Films include “Home Alone” (Dec. 11) ...
- Jewish Film Institute marks 40th anniversary with 8 nights of films for Hanukkah 2020/11/2710 to 17, JFI will be presenting what it has deemed “eight days of illuminating programs” — including a drive-in movie in San Francisco on opening ...
- Rainham Bootfair boss eyes expansion into future drive-in cinema and outdoor hospitality events 2020/11/27This will include an extended 20 week car boot sale season and 331 days available for drive-in cinemas, open air theatre productions, wedding ...
- What is Kristen Stewart's sexuality? Actress stars in LGBT Christmas movie! 2020/11/27Happiest Season is an LGBT Christmas romance movie starring Kristen Stewart ... aka the Kristen Stewart lesbian Christmas movie is extremely fantastic. ... night's drive-in premiere on Instagram – @HappiestSeason. pic.twitter.com/ ...
- Top 10 London shows to see this Christmas while in Tier 2 2020/11/27Magic Goes Wrong was originally meant to dominate the Vaudeville stage ... BONUS: Check out what movies are playing at The Drive in cinema in ...
- COMPETITION: Check out this prize for The Courier's Christmas Lights competition 2020/11/27... the heat, there's no better way than heading to the movies, either at Delacombe or at the spectacular drive-in cinema at the Ballarat Showgrounds.