This page is designed to pull together as much information, resources, and news relating to Coronavirus specifically within the cinema industry.
Please feel free to let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org of any other information and resources that you may be aware of:
General Corona Virus Information And Resources
All these resources and links are the Government related and similar sources relating to the virus and general advice:
- The official UK Government Coronavirus information website.
- The United Nations News page on the topic.
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics – providing the historical content of pandemics.
- Ukie COVID-19 roundup: Government and business support has a great summary of the aforementioned Government and business support.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. Includes an interactive global map with all the latest data on the Coronavirus cases.
- Protective Measures.
Individual Cinema Organisations/Company Information and Support Pages
Most of the individual membership organisations and similar have pages with specifically tailored resources:
- FAN – The Bigger Picture – extensive information page.
- Cinema Technology Community is offering free community membership for 6 months
- Cinema for All have a guide to creating virtual online Film Clubs.
- Cinema for All – advice and support whilst we stay at home.
- Independent Cinema Office Blog – What Cinemas Can Do Right Now.
- Air Screen Corona virus page
- Event Cinema Association Coronavirus Advice and Information
- Giant Screen Cinema COVID-19 Resource Page
- BECTU Covid-19 Adice and Information.
- Film & TV Charity Covid-19 advice page.
- UKCA Coronavirus Page.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- BFI – Answering Questions From the Screen Sectors.
- BFI Coronavirus Update.
- The Big Picture Corvid-19 Report.
- Screen has compiled an extensive list of all the ongoing international initiatives launched to support the international film industry at this time.
- Into Film – film guide to use at home.
- CICAE – CORONAVIRUS: SITUATION OF CINEMAS
- Independent Cinema Office sector survey results report.
- Box Office Coronavirus Pages.
- The Big Picture Page.
Cinema Sector-Specific Coronavirus News Stories
All the stories being published about Coronavirus across the sector:
- Box Office Pro Coronavirus Stories
- Celluloid Junkie Stories
- Hollywood Reporter.
- Mad Cornish Projectionist Coronavirus Stories.
- Variety Coronavirus Stories.
Equipment and Technical Advice
All these links are guides and resources to looking after and maintaining the technical equipment in the cinema.
- Equipment Shutdown Guide from CinemaNext
- Cinema Technology Community – Covid-19 Closure; Technology Tips for Equipment Upkeep and Preparation for Re-Opening.
- Cinionic’s guide to equipment shutdown.
- NEC Best Pracise Guidance for Cinema Equipment.
- FilmTech Forum – Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown
- GoFilex Shutdown Technical Details.
- GDC Technology Server Shutdown Technical Notice.
- Christie Closure Details.
- UNIC Cinemas Technical recommendations for cinema operators during closure.
- Technical guidance for prevention of Coronavirus spread during cinema reopening – UK China Film.
- QUBE Digitial Cinema Server Maintenance for Extended Shutdown.
- Atom Seating guide to deep cleaning their seats
- Preparing for a Cinema extended closure period and explaining why its so important
- Digital Cinema Report: Rebooting Cinemas When the Pandemic Ends
- Vista Reopening Tool Kit
Fundraising Related Links
There are a number of different funds being setup to help support the sector:
Retail/Property/Commercial Related Material
Information and articles directly related to Retail/Property/Commercial:
- What can UK retailers learn from their Chinese counterparts in the midst of COVID-19?
- What food retailers should do during the coronavirus crisis
Online Training Courses
There are plenty of online training courses being made available during this time, here are a few cinema specific ones:
- Christie University Catalog.
- Dolby Cinema Product Training Registration.
- Independent Cinema Office online learning courses.
- JBL/Harman Professional Online Training Sessons.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- Trinnov Audio Offers Cinema Downtime Customer Overview & Engineer Calibration Training
- A free Film Distribution Online Learning Course.
- QSC – Q-SYS Level 1 Cinema
Miscellaneous Resources and Information
This section is for any useful or relevant links that don’t fit anywhere else:
- Looking Forward: Assessing the Domestic Theatrical Situation.
- McKinsey – Survery US consumer sentiment during the Coronavirus crisis
- Calison Technology, better known for 3D products are offering disposable medical mask($0.55 for MOQ 1000pcs) and N95 mask($1.80 for MOQ 500pcs) available in stock, more details pls contact me via email@example.com.
- HR Advice for managers during the Coronavirus.
- COVID-19: Answering questions from the screen sectors.
- UK Cinema Network Facebook Page – is a peer to peer network for those who work in cinemas / multi-arts venues. An opportunity to share news, offer support and talk about new opportunities coming up.
- Social Distancing Festival. Not entirely cinema-related, but provides list of some of the material that is available to stream online, for when you need a break.
- Independent Cinema Office – list of Coronovirus resources.
A number of different organisations are putting on webinars to help share knowledge and information during this period. Any that are known about are listed below:
- Together Films – hosted a webinar on Monday 23rd March and Monday 30th March on the range of digital resources available to power community impact screenings during this time. Recordings of WEEK 1 and WEEK 2 can be found on the links.
- Cinema InFlux Webinar Series: have a weekly series of webinars, with previous weeks available to listen to.
- CJ Cinema Summit – A weekly webinar series, with previous editions available to listen to again online.
- Boxoffice Pro have a recap of the summit held on 26th March.
- CineConf: WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown, have a series of webinars. You can watch the first one on YouTube here.
- BoxOffice Pro – Podcasts.
- Park Circus_Comscore UK Webinar Presentation. The presentation includes details of Park Circus’ Corvid-19 response, their Classic Cinema Programming plan and how cinemas can book it.
Online Events This Week
Each week there are a variety of different online webinars being run by different people and companies, so here is your weekly guide to what is happening, with links to register:
The Big Picture Infographics
The Big Picture have been creating informative infographics and helping to disseminate information from across the sector, along with supporting this page. Also have a look at their Corvid-19 Report:
- The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They ReopenExhibitors are dying to reopen movie theatres. Studios are dying to release blockbuster films. But will fans be ready to risk dying to see them? That’s the dilemma facing our industry in what could be a cruel summer of dashed... The post The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They Reopen appeared first on […]Michael Giltz
- Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19As someone who made a living in the movie industry for over two decades and now writes about it, it pains me to admit this: I’m scared for what it’ll look like this time next year. I know, we’ve been... The post Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19 appeared first on Celluloid […]Jim Amos
- EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus ShutdownFrom the very moment in mid-March when the COVID-19 pandemic forced most cinemas around the world to shut their doors, they began to contemplate not only when they could reopen, but how they could do so in a way that... The post EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus Shutdown […]J. Sperling Reich
- When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie TheatreThese haven’t been a pleasant two months for the movie industry. Those of us who follow the film business, or simply just love movies, have watched as moviegoing has been completely upended, along with the rest of the entertainment sector,... The post When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie Theatre […]Jim Amos
- UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in EuropeInternational cinema trade body UNIC has launched a comprehensive guide to help cinemas across Europe, with detailed information about cinema closures, possible re-opening dates as well as overviews of public funding initiatives and support. UNIC has also been active in... The post UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in Europe appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown“Electric tiaras” are what theatre historian Ben M. Hall called the movie marquee. The cinema marquee and its readograph – the backlit sign written with moveable letters – is as important as the movie poster. Originally a rectangular sign, its... The post Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep GoingIt’s been a long old year, this week. It’s a sobering thought that our industry, like many others, temporarily doesn’t exist. In a little more than a week we at Celluloid Junkie have gone from tracking and reporting on the... The post “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep Going appeared first on Celluloid […]Claire Beswick
- Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19In these days of self-isolation, “vectoring” only with those you must, going out to the cinema is not an option – or is it? As the coronavirus closes multiplexes, movie theatres, outdoor screenings and specialist cinematic events in the west,... The post Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- Coronavirus Is Blurring Theatrical Release Windows, Not Breaking ThemIn his 1982 collection of speeches and essays about the struggle for justice taking place in South Africa, Bishop Desmond Tutu wrote: A time of crisis is not just a time of anxiety and worry. It gives a chance, an... The post Coronavirus Is Blurring Theatrical Release Windows, Not Breaking Them appeared first on Celluloid […]J. Sperling Reich
- Coronavirus Cinema Update – Monday 16 March 2020This post will be updated throughout today. Please check back for updates. It is sadly becoming easier to track which countries haven’t closed their cinemas, than keeping track of all the ones where they have closed. Germany, Sweden, UK and... The post Coronavirus Cinema Update – Monday 16 March 2020 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- The Rising of Holographic AR+AI Advertising 2020/08/14MobiusTrend, a market research company in Hong Kong, recently released a research report on ‘The Rising of Holographic AR+AI Advertising’. In the science fiction film ‘Ghost in the Shell’, the entire city sky is filled with the holographic projection advertisement. In the future world, with neon lights, holographic screens and 3D advertisements everywhere, there is […]
- Pakistan reopens restaurants, cinemas and gyms as COVID-19 counts drop 2020/08/14Government on Monday lifted almost all restrictions it had imposed since March. Source: https://gulfnews.com/photos/news/pictures
- Canon transforms African film industry, unveils webinar program 2020/08/14Excitement is building over Canon sharing testimony from two leading African film directors who applauded the latest Cinema EOS range after exclusive use in their latest movies of Canon’s EOS C500 Mark II; Canon is also launching 42 pro-video webinar program called Canon Tech Talk Series in three languages to share the knowledge of industry […]
- EntertainmentShowcase Drive- In movies return to El Paso 2020/08/14El Paso Live and the El Paso International Airport are teaming up to bring the outdoor movie experience back to El Paso with drive-in showings throughout the month of August. COVID-19 has brought back a revitalization of sorts to the popularity of drive-in movies. The El Paso area was once home to multiple drive-ins all over the region. The Ascarate, Bronco, […]
- Universal Hall to remain closed and scheduled season of films axed until further clarity over face coverings 2020/08/14The Universal Hall in Findhorn will remain closed until further clarity is gathered about wearing face coverings in cinemas across Scotland. This comes after the UK Government announced that people are required to wear face coverings in cinemas. The hall was gearing up to screen Jane Austen’s beloved comedy Emma, And Then We Danced and […]
- Venice contender ‘Never Gonna Snow Again’ is first film to enter Oscar race 2020/08/14‘Never gonna snow again’ directed by Małgorzata Szumowska and Michał Englert has been announced as the Polish candidate for Oscars 2021 in the Best International Feature Film category. The movie tells the story of Zhenia, a masseur from the east (played by Alec Utgoff known from ‘Stranger Things’) who enters the lives of the rich […]
- Seth Rogen says Marvel blockbusters make it difficult for comedy films 2020/08/14Seth Rogen says he believes that the prevalence of Marvel comedic blockbusters is making it harder for mid-level comedy films to survive. In a new interview with GamesRadar, Rogen says that the huge budgets of big Marvel films, which often lean into comedy territory, can’t be competed with. “Something that me and Evan [Goldberg, screenwriter and Rogen’s long-term collaborator] […]
- 50 Best movies of 2020 so far 2020/08/14This year has been turbulent for the movie industry, as much of the world has been at a standstill since March due to COVID-19. Movies haven’t really been released in theaters since then, but luckily we have other ways of watching them in this day and age. Streaming services have provided a much-needed way for […]
- MP says potential Runcorn Cineworld closure would be tragic 2020/08/14A DECISION by Cineworld not to reopen its Runcorn cinema would be a ‘huge blow’ for the town, an MP has said. Mike Amesbury, whose Weaver Vale constituency covers parts of East Runcorn, is urging the chain to find a compromise with the landlord of its Trident Retail Park cinema to ensure it can remain […]
- How the UAE’s Cinema Akil is raising funds for Beirut 2020/08/14As Beirut copes with the aftermath of a major explosion that ripped through the city’s port area on Aug. 4, killing at least 150 and wounding thousands, the cultural community in the UAE has stepped in to raise funds for the Lebanese Red Cross. Source:https://www.arabnews.com/node/1717841/lifestyle
- Boundary-pushing films are more than their clickbait headlines 2020/08/14The Melbourne International Film Festival is currently running online, but one movie announced at their program launch won’t be streaming. At the end of July, Sandra Wollner’s The Trouble With Being Born was withdrawn after the festival received “expert advice and following further community consultation”. The festival cited concerns over the “safety and wellbeing” of the public. […]
- Secret Cinema’s next big event will turn its audience into activists 2020/08/14The immersive movie company’s next screening will attempt to blend art with activism. Secret Cinema’s enormous, immersive productions aren’t something you’d normally associate with activism. Usually the focus is on escapism through familiar Hollywood movies that lend themselves to flashy set designs (its most recent real-life events were recreations of ‘Romeo + Juliet’ and ‘Casino Royale’). But […]
- Port of Long Beach, City Partner For Free Drive-In Movie Series 2020/08/14The Port of Long Beach is teaming up with the city for a “Twilight Cinema” series of free drive-in movies beginning Tuesday evening through Sept. 6. The movies are set to begin at dusk around 8:30 p.m. at the Granada Beach and Long Beach Convention Center parking lots, organizers said. Reservations are already full for […]
- Clevedon’s Curzon cinema to reopen in October 2020/08/14Before the coronavirus pandemic, Clevedon’s Curzon cinema was one of the longest continually-operating cinemas in the country. The cinema has been running since April 1912, when it opened with a fundraiser for relatives of the Titanic disaster. It stayed open through a complete rebuild in the 1920s and both world wars. Now, the community cinema […]
- Shanghai relaxes restrictions on cinema audiences 2020/08/14Local cinemas can operate up to half of capacity from Friday after the current 30 percent limit amid the COVID-19 pandemic was relaxed. Cinemas in Shanghai as well as those in Chengdu in northwest Sichuan Province said on Tuesday that they had received a notice from the authority. The two-hour restriction on viewing periods will […]
- Gathr Films Sets Worldwide Event Cinema Premiere of Emmy-Winning Director Paul Saltzman’s Feature Documentary Meeting the Beatles in India for September 9th 2020/08/14With new and vivid first-hand details and over 40 personal photos never-before-seen in any other movie about The Beatles, Emmy Award-winning Canadian filmmaker Paul Saltzman shares an extraordinary life experience in a new feature documentary, Meeting the Beatles in India. Gathr Films has set Wednesday, September 9th for the virtual World Premiere with a Live Filmmaker Q&A directly […]
- ‘Unhinged’ Holds Top Spot as U.K. Box Office Declines 2020/08/14As the mercury soared, collections plummeted as the heatwave across England took its toll on the U.K. and Ireland box office over the weekend. Russell Crowe’s “Unhinged,” released by Altitude Film Distribution, retained the box office crown with a weekend gross of £117,633 ($154,000), a decline of 34% from last week, despite increasing screen count from […]
- Taiwan Film Festival Edinburgh digitally features 20 carefully selected films from the island 2020/08/1420, carefully selected, films from a variety of genres have been chosen to be ‘shown’ digitally at 2020’s Taiwan Film Festival Edinburgh. Taiwanese Hokkien-Language cinema, also called Taiwanese cinema from the literal translation of Taiyupian, refers to Hoklo-speaking films produced in Taiwan between 1955 and 1981. The term is used to differentiate these Taiwanese films […]
- New Cinema Club Relaunches with Egalitarian Focus on Emerging Filmmakers 2020/08/14New Cinema Club Relaunches with Egalitarian Focus It was long before the worst of times that short-form filmmaking constituted a battle whose success rate we might call Sisyphean; or, quoting New Cinema Club co-founder Tymon Brown, “No one sees these things. The hardest part of making a movie is getting it seen. Nobody gives a […]
- Toronto Film Festival to Honor Anthony Hopkins, Chloé Zhao, Mira Nair 2020/08/14Anthony Hopkins, Chloé Zhao, and Mira Nair will be honored at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival. Hopkins, an Oscar winner for “The Silence of the Lambs,” will receive a TIFF Tribute Actor Award. Zhao, the director of “The Rider,” will receive the TIFF Ebert Director Award. Nair, best known for directing “Monsoon Wedding,” will be honored […]
Drive-In Cinema News
- STRONG Technical Services Introduces BrightNight Preview and Northview Products 2020/08/14“We have completed 12 drive-in cinemas to date and STRONG Technical Services is working on over 20 additional projects. The introduction of ...
- Sneak peek: the new drive-in cinema at Edinburgh Zoo that delivers food to your car 2020/08/14... in the capital and the new drive-in experience at Edinburgh Zoo is perfect for a family day out or date-night. Suzuki's @thedrivein cinema experience ...
- Greatest Showman screens at Fife's first drive-in cinema 2020/08/14Fife's first drive-in cinema opens this month. The Pictures@Pratis launches at Pratis Barns. Near Leven, on Friday, August 28. It will host an opening ...
- A new floating cinema is coming to London this summer 2020/08/14A new floating cinema is coming to London this summer ... There's a brand new experience for film fans to check out this summer, with the arrival of a ... with open air film screenings and drive-in events taking place after lockdown.
- Cinema under the stars: The days of the drive-in 2020/08/14Today, she's part of a temporary drive-in revival called Movies in the Park-ing Lot. Photographer Steve Fitch remembers traveling the American West in ...
- Are drive-ins the future for cinema in this country? - Tony Earnshaw 2020/08/14Are drive-ins the future for cinema in this country? - Tony Earnshaw. Over the best part of 30 years as a film reviewer I've sat through thousands of ...
- Black film fest in Manchester, documentary film fest in New Haven 2020/08/14The drive-in festival will show a classic family film, a classic comedy and three documentaries about Black achievement and empowerment.
- Orville Peck drops new video with Shania Twain, Jaida Essence Hall and John Waters and it's the ... 2020/08/14Crooning with Peck at a drive-in cinema, the country icon serves full “That Don't Impress Me Much” realness in full leopard print regalia and a ...
- 'We're Gonna Explore The World, Our Way' Pat O'Connell on The Endless Summer 2 2020/08/14... long from the clifftops of Cornwall at the Wavelength Drive-In Cinema. ... chat about ES2 speaks to both his vibe, and the warmth still felt for the film.
- Metallica concert coming to the big screen at Elm Road Triple Drive-In 2020/08/14In the Mahoning Valley, traditional, enclosed movie theaters have remained shuttered since the statewide closure order in March. Cinemark Tinseltown ...
- BWW Interview: Layton Williams Talks WEST END MUSICAL DRIVE-IN 2020/08/14Nothing will ever replace true live theatre, but do you think that there's a future for drive-through productions even after theatres reopen? I think they work ...
- Movies 2020/08/14Relive the magic of the great American drive in movie theatre - a contact-free way to experience film, outdoor theatre and live performances. Bringing ...
- Weekender: Musician launches drive-in venture to provide entertainment 2020/08/14The team will host a number of socially distanced, 'drive-in' outdoor experiences including concerts, movies nights, theatre shows and comedy ...
- You can still go to movies 2020/08/14While many movie theaters around the state of Arkansas remain closed until further ... Check the Facebook group "North Little Rock Drive In Movies.".
- Memphis Belle - Drive-In Cinema | IWM Duxford 2020/08/14Memphis Belle - Drive-In Cinema @ IWM Duxford. Search. September 2020. Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat. 30, 31, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ...
- Three Days Grace Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema Houston Tickets 2020/08/14Tickets and information to see Three Days Grace perform live at Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema in Houston. Three Days Grace tickets are protected with ...
- Drive-in movie snack bar commercial inspired by Star Wars (1979) 2020/08/14Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/13/drive-in-movie-snack-bar-comme.html …
- Screen Grabs: Cheap thrills, serial killers, and miscellaneous mayhem 2020/08/14Spree If the perils in Ravage have a distinctly retro feel redolent of 1970s drive-in cinema, this more blackly comedic exercise ...
- Drive-in cinema Popcorn Movies is coming to Ardleigh showground 2020/08/14A BUSINESS forced to diversify when the pandemic left them with no work is hoping to spread joy with a drive-in cinema experience. Spot On, based ...
- Aug. 14 Community News 2020/08/14The city's Recreation and Parks Department will host Carpool Cinema ... charge for the drive-in movie; however, parking is limited to about 50 cars.