This page is designed to pull together as much information, resources, and news relating to Coronavirus specifically within the cinema industry.
Please feel free to let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org of any other information and resources that you may be aware of:
General Corona Virus Information And Resources
All these resources and links are the Government related and similar sources relating to the virus and general advice:
- The official UK Government Coronavirus information website.
- The United Nations News page on the topic.
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics – providing the historical content of pandemics.
- Ukie COVID-19 roundup: Government and business support has a great summary of the aforementioned Government and business support.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. Includes an interactive global map with all the latest data on the Coronavirus cases.
- Protective Measures.
Individual Cinema Organisations/Company Information and Support Pages
Most of the individual membership organisations and similar have pages with specifically tailored resources:
- FAN – The Bigger Picture – extensive information page.
- Cinema Technology Community is offering free community membership for 6 months
- Cinema for All have a guide to creating virtual online Film Clubs.
- Cinema for All – advice and support whilst we stay at home.
- Independent Cinema Office Blog – What Cinemas Can Do Right Now.
- Air Screen Corona virus page
- Event Cinema Association Coronavirus Advice and Information
- Giant Screen Cinema COVID-19 Resource Page
- BECTU Covid-19 Adice and Information.
- Film & TV Charity Covid-19 advice page.
- UKCA Coronavirus Page.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- BFI – Answering Questions From the Screen Sectors.
- BFI Coronavirus Update.
- The Big Picture Corvid-19 Report.
- Screen has compiled an extensive list of all the ongoing international initiatives launched to support the international film industry at this time.
- Into Film – film guide to use at home.
- CICAE – CORONAVIRUS: SITUATION OF CINEMAS
- Independent Cinema Office sector survey results report.
- Box Office Coronavirus Pages.
- The Big Picture Page.
Cinema Sector-Specific Coronavirus News Stories
All the stories being published about Coronavirus across the sector:
- Box Office Pro Coronavirus Stories
- Celluloid Junkie Stories
- Hollywood Reporter.
- Mad Cornish Projectionist Coronavirus Stories.
- Variety Coronavirus Stories.
Equipment and Technical Advice
All these links are guides and resources to looking after and maintaining the technical equipment in the cinema.
- Equipment Shutdown Guide from CinemaNext
- Cinema Technology Community – Covid-19 Closure; Technology Tips for Equipment Upkeep and Preparation for Re-Opening.
- Cinionic’s guide to equipment shutdown.
- NEC Best Pracise Guidance for Cinema Equipment.
- FilmTech Forum – Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown
- GoFilex Shutdown Technical Details.
- GDC Technology Server Shutdown Technical Notice.
- Christie Closure Details.
- UNIC Cinemas Technical recommendations for cinema operators during closure.
- Technical guidance for prevention of Coronavirus spread during cinema reopening – UK China Film.
- QUBE Digitial Cinema Server Maintenance for Extended Shutdown.
- Atom Seating guide to deep cleaning their seats
- Preparing for a Cinema extended closure period and explaining why its so important
- Digital Cinema Report: Rebooting Cinemas When the Pandemic Ends
- Vista Reopening Tool Kit
Fundraising Related Links
There are a number of different funds being setup to help support the sector:
Retail/Property/Commercial Related Material
Information and articles directly related to Retail/Property/Commercial:
- What can UK retailers learn from their Chinese counterparts in the midst of COVID-19?
- What food retailers should do during the coronavirus crisis
Online Training Courses
There are plenty of online training courses being made available during this time, here are a few cinema specific ones:
- Christie University Catalog.
- Dolby Cinema Product Training Registration.
- Independent Cinema Office online learning courses.
- JBL/Harman Professional Online Training Sessons.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- Trinnov Audio Offers Cinema Downtime Customer Overview & Engineer Calibration Training
- A free Film Distribution Online Learning Course.
- QSC – Q-SYS Level 1 Cinema
Miscellaneous Resources and Information
This section is for any useful or relevant links that don’t fit anywhere else:
- Looking Forward: Assessing the Domestic Theatrical Situation.
- McKinsey – Survery US consumer sentiment during the Coronavirus crisis
- Calison Technology, better known for 3D products are offering disposable medical mask($0.55 for MOQ 1000pcs) and N95 mask($1.80 for MOQ 500pcs) available in stock, more details pls contact me via email@example.com.
- HR Advice for managers during the Coronavirus.
- COVID-19: Answering questions from the screen sectors.
- UK Cinema Network Facebook Page – is a peer to peer network for those who work in cinemas / multi-arts venues. An opportunity to share news, offer support and talk about new opportunities coming up.
- Social Distancing Festival. Not entirely cinema-related, but provides list of some of the material that is available to stream online, for when you need a break.
- Independent Cinema Office – list of Coronovirus resources.
A number of different organisations are putting on webinars to help share knowledge and information during this period. Any that are known about are listed below:
- Together Films – hosted a webinar on Monday 23rd March and Monday 30th March on the range of digital resources available to power community impact screenings during this time. Recordings of WEEK 1 and WEEK 2 can be found on the links.
- Cinema InFlux Webinar Series: have a weekly series of webinars, with previous weeks available to listen to.
- CJ Cinema Summit – A weekly webinar series, with previous editions available to listen to again online.
- Boxoffice Pro have a recap of the summit held on 26th March.
- CineConf: WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown, have a series of webinars. You can watch the first one on YouTube here.
- BoxOffice Pro – Podcasts.
- Park Circus_Comscore UK Webinar Presentation. The presentation includes details of Park Circus’ Corvid-19 response, their Classic Cinema Programming plan and how cinemas can book it.
Online Events This Week
Each week there are a variety of different online webinars being run by different people and companies, so here is your weekly guide to what is happening, with links to register:
The Big Picture Infographics
The Big Picture have been creating informative infographics and helping to disseminate information from across the sector, along with supporting this page. Also have a look at their Corvid-19 Report:
- The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They ReopenExhibitors are dying to reopen movie theatres. Studios are dying to release blockbuster films. But will fans be ready to risk dying to see them? That’s the dilemma facing our industry in what could be a cruel summer of dashed... The post The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They Reopen appeared first on […]Michael Giltz
- Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19As someone who made a living in the movie industry for over two decades and now writes about it, it pains me to admit this: I’m scared for what it’ll look like this time next year. I know, we’ve been... The post Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19 appeared first on Celluloid […]Jim Amos
- EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus ShutdownFrom the very moment in mid-March when the COVID-19 pandemic forced most cinemas around the world to shut their doors, they began to contemplate not only when they could reopen, but how they could do so in a way that... The post EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus Shutdown […]J. Sperling Reich
- When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie TheatreThese haven’t been a pleasant two months for the movie industry. Those of us who follow the film business, or simply just love movies, have watched as moviegoing has been completely upended, along with the rest of the entertainment sector,... The post When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie Theatre […]Jim Amos
- UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in EuropeInternational cinema trade body UNIC has launched a comprehensive guide to help cinemas across Europe, with detailed information about cinema closures, possible re-opening dates as well as overviews of public funding initiatives and support. UNIC has also been active in... The post UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in Europe appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown“Electric tiaras” are what theatre historian Ben M. Hall called the movie marquee. The cinema marquee and its readograph – the backlit sign written with moveable letters – is as important as the movie poster. Originally a rectangular sign, its... The post Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep GoingIt’s been a long old year, this week. It’s a sobering thought that our industry, like many others, temporarily doesn’t exist. In a little more than a week we at Celluloid Junkie have gone from tracking and reporting on the... The post “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep Going appeared first on Celluloid […]Claire Beswick
- Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19In these days of self-isolation, “vectoring” only with those you must, going out to the cinema is not an option – or is it? As the coronavirus closes multiplexes, movie theatres, outdoor screenings and specialist cinematic events in the west,... The post Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- Coronavirus Is Blurring Theatrical Release Windows, Not Breaking ThemIn his 1982 collection of speeches and essays about the struggle for justice taking place in South Africa, Bishop Desmond Tutu wrote: A time of crisis is not just a time of anxiety and worry. It gives a chance, an... The post Coronavirus Is Blurring Theatrical Release Windows, Not Breaking Them appeared first on Celluloid […]J. Sperling Reich
- Coronavirus Cinema Update – Monday 16 March 2020This post will be updated throughout today. Please check back for updates. It is sadly becoming easier to track which countries haven’t closed their cinemas, than keeping track of all the ones where they have closed. Germany, Sweden, UK and... The post Coronavirus Cinema Update – Monday 16 March 2020 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Customers welcome reopening of cinemas despite restrictions 2020/07/08Cinemas have reopened their doors to customers following months of closure. Film goers are being welcomed into venues with reduced capacities and are being encouraged to follow measures such as wearing masks, paying by contactless transactions and using hand-sanitising stations on arrival and exit. However while some cinemas resumed trading on Saturday, a large number […]
- Watch: The new movie on life in lockdown shot by more than 70 Hebridean islanders 2020/07/08It offers tantalising and intriguing glimpses into what life has been like under lockdown in some of Scotland’s most remote Hebridean communities. Source: https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/
- Metropolis: Why The First Sci-Fi Movie Is Still One Of The Best 2020/07/08Directed by Fritz Lang, Metropolis remains one of the best science fiction movies ever made. Here’s why it will always be relevant and influential. Directed by Fritz Lang, Metropolis remains one of the best genre movies ever made. The 1927 classic transcended filmmaking of the time and also foreshadowed industry trends that are now commonplace nearly 100 years later. […]
- 17 Movie Moments That Were So Major, They Made People Audibly React At The Movie Theater 2020/07/08We asked the BuzzFeed Community to tell us which movie moments were so big the entire theater freaked out. Here are some of the best responses: Read more: https://www.buzzfeed.com/jenniferabidor/major-movie-moments
- In Europe, The Drive-In Festival Concept Gathers Speed 2020/07/08That necessity is the mother of invention was noted by Plato in 400 B.C. but it’s just as apposite in the COVID-19 summer of 2020. While many of Europe’s arts festivals have been cancelled this year, including Edinburgh, Bayreuth and Glastonbury, others have turned to 1950s America for inspiration with drive-in performances. The Kunstfest Weimar festival, founded […]
- Walmart is transforming 160 of its parking lots into drive-in theaters 2020/07/08Two of the most classic pieces of Americana are coming together this summer: drive-in theaters and Walmart. Beginning in August, the retailer is converting 160 of its US store parking lots into drive-in movie theaters. As the pandemic continues, drive-in theaters have been making a comeback as a safe alternative to the traditional movie theaters that remain closed in much […]
- Why Marvel comics are perfect for video games – but wrong for cinema 2020/07/08If we live in the age of the superhero, why does nothing ever seem to take flight? Over the past decade, superhero comic book adaptations have monopolised the Hollywood film industry; the sprawling, 23-films-and-counting behemoth known as the Marvel Cinematic Universe sits, moustachioed, at its centre. Using loosely serialised storytelling and logistically impressive crossover elements, the […]
- Earl Cameron, pioneering British film actor, dies at 102 2020/07/08Earl Cameron, who was one of the first Black actors to perform in mainstream British films and played supporting roles to enduring entertainment icons such as James Bond and the title character in “Doctor Who” before appearing in the U.N. thriller “The Interpreter” in his 80s, has died. He was 102. Cameron died Friday, according […]
- What to watch: Boohoo slumps on factory exposé, Cinema chains sue each other, and Sunak boosts stocks 2020/07/08Here are the top business, market, and economic stories you should be watching today in the UK, Europe, and abroad: Shares in fast fashion retailer Boohoo (BOO.L) slumped as much as 12% in early trade after two reports over the weekend highlighted alleged poor conditions at factories it uses as suppliers. On Saturday, the Guardian ran […]
- How Tenet is keeping cinemas closed and messing up Hollywood 2020/07/08Cinemas are allowed to reopen from July 4. So why aren’t they doing it? Yesterday was meant to be Super Saturday for the cinema industry too. Amid a flurry of openings – pubs, restaurants, hairdressers – movie theatres were also meant to be throwing open their doors to eager film fans from this weekend. But […]
- Ennio Morricone, Oscar-Winning Composer of Film Scores, Dies at 91 2020/07/08His vast output included atmospheric music for spaghetti westerns in his native Italy and scores for some 500 movies by a Who’s Who of directors. Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/movies/ennio-morricone-dead.html
- Platinum Equity buys Deluxe Entertainment’s distribution business 2020/07/08Tom Gore’s Platinum Equity is expanding its entertainment investments with the acquisition of Deluxe Entertainment Services Inc.’s distribution business. The private equity firm didn’t disclose financial terms of the deal, but it said Deluxe Entertainment’s creative businesses were not included in the acquisition. Beverly Hills, California-based Platinum Equity said former Deluxe Chief Executive Cyril Drabinsky, who […]
- “Flash Gordon” Returns To UK Cinemas For 40th Anniversary 2020/07/08Mike Hodges‘ swashbuckling offbeat adventure-fantasy Flash Gordon will return to cinemas on July 31, 2020 to celebrate its 40th anniversary. Audiences will get the opportunity to see the film on the big screen at Picturehouse Central and in other select cinemas around the UK including The Luna Drive In Cinema. The film that critic Pauline Kael aptly called a “fairy […]
- Estonian and Polish Exhibitors Selected for UNIC Leadership Programme 2020/07/08Valeria Kurohtina from CINAMON (Estonia) and Monika Giełżecka from Multikino (Poland) are among the nine female cinema professionals selected to participate in the fourth edition of the International Union of Cinemas’ (UNIC) Women’s Cinema Leadership Programme. The 12-month mentorship programme provides one-to-one career advice and networking opportunities with mentorship from women executives from across the cinema landscape recognised for […]
- Plans for huge new cinema complex at Cameron Toll Shopping Centre officially approved 2020/07/08Plans for a new ten-screen multiplex cinema development in Cameron Toll have now been approved. The proposed cinema will be built as an extension to the existing Cameron Toll Shopping Centre and will include a separate restaurant, retail and GP practice. The cinema will be operated by Empire Cinemas and built on what is currently […]
- The 25 Best World War II Movies Ever Made 2020/07/08The way many of us first learned about World War II was inherently cinematic. A black and white dichotomy of “good guys” and “bad guys” laid before us with tales of heroic sacrifice, secrecy, and an evil, inhumane villain at the root of it all. For these reasons, WWII has held tremendous relevance in cinema—both […]
- Odeon releases film schedule as Scotland’s cinemas prepare to reopen this month 2020/07/08Cinemas are set to reopen this summer – and one major chain has revealed which movies are hitting its screens. Theatres are preparing to reopen in Scotland from July 15 onwards as the third phase of the route map out of lockdown begins. Cinema giant Odeon is gearing up to welcome back film fans at Braehead, East Kilbride and Glasgow Quay outlets, […]
- Armageddon is about as “scientifically inaccurate” as it gets 2020/07/08The summer of 1998 saw the world weep in unison at tearjerker Armageddon. It told the story of a group of deep-core drillers who were sent up into space with NASA astronauts to help destroy a huge asteroid that was heading straight for Earth. But it was the love story between Ben Affleck’s AJ Frost and […]
- UK government says some film and TV productions will be exempt from quarantine rules 2020/07/08Some film and TV productions will be exempt from coronavirus quarantine rules, the UK government announced. Currently, people travelling into the UK must quarantine for two weeks on arrival. However, the government’s new plan will allow those who are essential to a production will not be required to quarantine. Instead, they will have to live and […]
- Qantas Founders Museum opens Luminescent Longreach sound and light show 2020/07/08A light show like nothing else in the world has opened for public viewing in Longreach today, shining a light on the century-old history of the airline that Queensland gave the world. Luminescent Longreach makes use of the historic aircraft gathered together by the Qantas Founders Museum at Longreach and uses them as the canvas upon […]
Drive-In Cinema News
- Coronavirus: Scotland's comedy clubs fighting for survival 2020/07/12Arts · Film & TV · Food and Drink · Music · History · Travel · Essays ... live on the nearby screen truck, he's hoping it qualifies as a drive-in cinema.
- UCSB Arts & Lectures Featuring Free Screenings with 'Movies Under the Stars in Your Cars' 2020/07/12One of the most anticipated summer traditions is offering free drive-in screenings starting next week in Goleta, allowing moviegoers to catch classics ...
- People in Cars Getting Comedy | Patriot Place 2020/07/11... trash bag upon check-in – we ask that you keep and remove all trash to allow the area to stay clean and safe for all guests and drive-in employees.
- 6 Great Things About Drive-Ins We Should Appreciate 2020/07/11In a world where it feels like movie theaters may never re-open, a shining light has gone into the shadows. Out of those shadows, the idea of drive-ins ...
- Get your film fix at a drive-in cinema! 2020/07/11Luna Cinema are hosting drive-in nights in various venues including Allianz Park in London. Films include Grease, Little Mermaid, Dirty Dancing, Sister ...
- Get your film fix at a drive-in cinema! 2020/07/11Retro drive-in cinemas are popping up all over the country due to the coronavirus pandemic, so why not live out your Grease-fuelled, drive-in fantasy!
- with popcorn, more techno and sold out tickets, so the drive-in theater returned to La Pampa 2020/07/11But our objective is that the movie theaters reopen, ”said the businessman, a promoter of the film industry in the Pampas capital. The drive-in theater was ...
- Carmakers turn to the silver screen to boost sales 2020/07/11“As a car manufacturer, a drive-in cinema of course has a particular charm,” said Hubert Link, head of marketing for Audi in Germany. But while the ...
- Drive-in in New Mexico offering vintage feel amid COVID-19 2020/07/11The Fort Union Drive-In in Las Vegas is the only drive-in movie theater remaining in New Mexico. It capitalizes on nostalgia, and audiences locals and ...
- 'Empire Strikes Back' Leads At The Weekend Box Office Again, 23 Years After Sequel's Special ... 2020/07/11It's double standards such as these which drive movie theaters and small business owners mad as they try to stay alive financially, and are making great ...
- Drive-in movies coming to intu Braehead boardwalk to raise money for charity 2020/07/11The Grease Singalong movie will be shown along with a host of other films such as Jurassic Park, Mama Mia, Goonies, The Lost Boys, Back to the ...
- Troubadour Drive In Cinema Meridian Water 2020/07/11Family Shows. The Drive In - It (15) Tickets. at Troubadour Drive In Cinema Meridian Water. Events. 1 Upcoming Events. Open Date Picker.
- Movie theaters face 'existential' threat from COVID-19: 'Without new movies, it's over' 2020/07/11About 1,300 domestic movie houses are currently open, including 293 drive-ins, according to data firm Comscore. But the vast majority of the country's ...
- Cypriot film to be screened next at Rialto 2020/07/11The chair-seated tickets cost €8, or it is €16 per car for the drive-in cinema. These tickets can only be bought up to 24 hours before the event and all ...
- Drive- In cinema, Seaford 2020/07/115 fun-filled days of drive in cinema entertainment with a selection of films for all ages and delicious local food and drink.
- Dirty Dancing – 8:30PM MOVIE 2020/07/11Mov'In Car - Drive-in Cinema Canberra presents: Dirty Dancing on the 24th of July 2020 at Questacon Carpark, Canberra.
- Forget Drive-In Movie Theaters, Watch a Movie on a River! 2020/07/11Source: Insider.com. Paris is opening up their very own water movie theater on the Seine River where people can be on boats while safely socially ...
- Drive-in cinema screenings are coming to this Derby suburb 2020/07/11Drive-in cinema screenings including showings of Joker and Mamma Mia are coming to a Derby suburb this summer. Drive In Films will be bringing a ...
- Old-fashioned summer fun 2020/07/11Have you been to the drive-in movies yet this year? There are two choices in the Okanagan this summer. In Kelowna, there is Outside Cinema.
- Virus cases up sharply in Africa, India as inequality stings 2020/07/11... in Apolda, Germany, wait in a drive-in cinema for the presentation of their school-leaving certificates and honours on Saturday, July 11, 2020. Due to ...