This page is designed to pull together as much information, resources, and news relating to Coronavirus specifically within the cinema industry.
Please feel free to let me know at email@example.com of any other information and resources that you may be aware of:
General Corona Virus Information And Resources
All these resources and links are the Government related and similar sources relating to the virus and general advice:
- The official UK Government Coronavirus information website.
- The United Nations News page on the topic.
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics – providing the historical content of pandemics.
- Ukie COVID-19 roundup: Government and business support has a great summary of the aforementioned Government and business support.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. Includes an interactive global map with all the latest data on the Coronavirus cases.
- Protective Measures.
Individual Cinema Organisations/Company Information and Support Pages
Most of the individual membership organisations and similar have pages with specifically tailored resources:
- FAN – The Bigger Picture – extensive information page.
- Cinema Technology Community is offering free community membership for 6 months
- Cinema for All have a guide to creating virtual online Film Clubs.
- Cinema for All – advice and support whilst we stay at home.
- Independent Cinema Office Blog – What Cinemas Can Do Right Now.
- Air Screen Corona virus page
- Event Cinema Association Coronavirus Advice and Information
- Giant Screen Cinema COVID-19 Resource Page
- BECTU Covid-19 Adice and Information.
- Film & TV Charity Covid-19 advice page.
- UKCA Coronavirus Page.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- BFI – Answering Questions From the Screen Sectors.
- BFI Coronavirus Update.
- The Big Picture Corvid-19 Report.
- Screen has compiled an extensive list of all the ongoing international initiatives launched to support the international film industry at this time.
- Into Film – film guide to use at home.
- CICAE – CORONAVIRUS: SITUATION OF CINEMAS
- Independent Cinema Office sector survey results report.
- Box Office Coronavirus Pages.
- The Big Picture Page.
Cinema Sector-Specific Coronavirus News Stories
All the stories being published about Coronavirus across the sector:
- Box Office Pro Coronavirus Stories
- Celluloid Junkie Stories
- Hollywood Reporter.
- Mad Cornish Projectionist Coronavirus Stories.
- Variety Coronavirus Stories.
Equipment and Technical Advice
All these links are guides and resources to looking after and maintaining the technical equipment in the cinema.
- Equipment Shutdown Guide from CinemaNext
- Cinema Technology Community – Covid-19 Closure; Technology Tips for Equipment Upkeep and Preparation for Re-Opening.
- Cinionic’s guide to equipment shutdown.
- NEC Best Pracise Guidance for Cinema Equipment.
- FilmTech Forum – Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown
- GoFilex Shutdown Technical Details.
- GDC Technology Server Shutdown Technical Notice.
- Christie Closure Details.
- UNIC Cinemas Technical recommendations for cinema operators during closure.
- Technical guidance for prevention of Coronavirus spread during cinema reopening – UK China Film.
- QUBE Digitial Cinema Server Maintenance for Extended Shutdown.
- Atom Seating guide to deep cleaning their seats
- Preparing for a Cinema extended closure period and explaining why its so important
- Digital Cinema Report: Rebooting Cinemas When the Pandemic Ends
- Vista Reopening Tool Kit
Fundraising Related Links
There are a number of different funds being setup to help support the sector:
Retail/Property/Commercial Related Material
Information and articles directly related to Retail/Property/Commercial:
- What can UK retailers learn from their Chinese counterparts in the midst of COVID-19?
- What food retailers should do during the coronavirus crisis
Online Training Courses
There are plenty of online training courses being made available during this time, here are a few cinema specific ones:
- Christie University Catalog.
- Dolby Cinema Product Training Registration.
- Independent Cinema Office online learning courses.
- JBL/Harman Professional Online Training Sessons.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- Trinnov Audio Offers Cinema Downtime Customer Overview & Engineer Calibration Training
- A free Film Distribution Online Learning Course.
- QSC – Q-SYS Level 1 Cinema
Miscellaneous Resources and Information
This section is for any useful or relevant links that don’t fit anywhere else:
- Looking Forward: Assessing the Domestic Theatrical Situation.
- McKinsey – Survery US consumer sentiment during the Coronavirus crisis
- Calison Technology, better known for 3D products are offering disposable medical mask($0.55 for MOQ 1000pcs) and N95 mask($1.80 for MOQ 500pcs) available in stock, more details pls contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HR Advice for managers during the Coronavirus.
- COVID-19: Answering questions from the screen sectors.
- UK Cinema Network Facebook Page – is a peer to peer network for those who work in cinemas / multi-arts venues. An opportunity to share news, offer support and talk about new opportunities coming up.
- Social Distancing Festival. Not entirely cinema-related, but provides list of some of the material that is available to stream online, for when you need a break.
- Independent Cinema Office – list of Coronovirus resources.
A number of different organisations are putting on webinars to help share knowledge and information during this period. Any that are known about are listed below:
- Together Films – hosted a webinar on Monday 23rd March and Monday 30th March on the range of digital resources available to power community impact screenings during this time. Recordings of WEEK 1 and WEEK 2 can be found on the links.
- Cinema InFlux Webinar Series: have a weekly series of webinars, with previous weeks available to listen to.
- CJ Cinema Summit – A weekly webinar series, with previous editions available to listen to again online.
- Boxoffice Pro have a recap of the summit held on 26th March.
- CineConf: WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown, have a series of webinars. You can watch the first one on YouTube here.
- BoxOffice Pro – Podcasts.
- Park Circus_Comscore UK Webinar Presentation. The presentation includes details of Park Circus’ Corvid-19 response, their Classic Cinema Programming plan and how cinemas can book it.
Online Events This Week
Each week there are a variety of different online webinars being run by different people and companies, so here is your weekly guide to what is happening, with links to register:
The Big Picture Infographics
The Big Picture have been creating informative infographics and helping to disseminate information from across the sector, along with supporting this page. Also have a look at their Corvid-19 Report:
- Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19On the morning of March 12th of this year, Leon Newnham, the Chief Executive Officer of Vista Cinema, woke up to discover much of his hard work over the past several weeks would be for naught. The growing coronavirus pandemic... The post Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.J. Sperling Reich
- Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging YearTo say that 2020 has been a bad year for cinema operators and theatrical film distributors would be quite the understatement. With COVID-19 shuttering most of the world’s movie theaters, global box office is down well over 70% from last... The post Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging Year appeared first on Celluloid […]J. Sperling Reich
- The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They ReopenExhibitors are dying to reopen movie theatres. Studios are dying to release blockbuster films. But will fans be ready to risk dying to see them? That’s the dilemma facing our industry in what could be a cruel summer of dashed... The post The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They Reopen appeared first on […]Michael Giltz
- Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19As someone who made a living in the movie industry for over two decades and now writes about it, it pains me to admit this: I’m scared for what it’ll look like this time next year. I know, we’ve been... The post Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19 appeared first on Celluloid […]Jim Amos
- EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus ShutdownFrom the very moment in mid-March when the COVID-19 pandemic forced most cinemas around the world to shut their doors, they began to contemplate not only when they could reopen, but how they could do so in a way that... The post EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus Shutdown […]J. Sperling Reich
- When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie TheatreThese haven’t been a pleasant two months for the movie industry. Those of us who follow the film business, or simply just love movies, have watched as moviegoing has been completely upended, along with the rest of the entertainment sector,... The post When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie Theatre […]Jim Amos
- UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in EuropeInternational cinema trade body UNIC has launched a comprehensive guide to help cinemas across Europe, with detailed information about cinema closures, possible re-opening dates as well as overviews of public funding initiatives and support. UNIC has also been active in... The post UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in Europe appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown“Electric tiaras” are what theatre historian Ben M. Hall called the movie marquee. The cinema marquee and its readograph – the backlit sign written with moveable letters – is as important as the movie poster. Originally a rectangular sign, its... The post Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep GoingIt’s been a long old year, this week. It’s a sobering thought that our industry, like many others, temporarily doesn’t exist. In a little more than a week we at Celluloid Junkie have gone from tracking and reporting on the... The post “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep Going appeared first on Celluloid […]Claire Beswick
- Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19In these days of self-isolation, “vectoring” only with those you must, going out to the cinema is not an option – or is it? As the coronavirus closes multiplexes, movie theatres, outdoor screenings and specialist cinematic events in the west,... The post Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- The London independent cinemas that are open now and need your support 2020/10/23Last week’s announcement that the 25th Bond film No Time to Die would be postponed yet again sent bigger chains into a tailspin, with Cineworld announcing the temporary closure of all its 127 UK movie theatres, while a quarter of Vue cinemas limiting operations to Friday to Monday only. In perhaps a rare example of bigger not being better, […]
- How Much Do You Really Miss Going to the Movies? 2020/10/23Amid concerns about the future of theaters, remember that the past wasn’t always glorious. This is the moment to rethink what we want at a cinema. Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/movies/movie-theater-problems.html
- Spalding actors hit out at ‘retrain suggestion’ 2020/10/23‘They are asking them to give up hope’ of returning to normal is the warning given by members of South Holland’s cultural scene to the Government. Chancellor Rishi Sunak sparked controversy from musicians and artists last week when he appeared to suggest that they retrain. Source: https://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news/local-artists-strike-back-over-retrain-comments-9126848/
- Why a biopic on cricketer Muralitharan has become controversial in Tamil Nadu 2020/10/23Why a biopic on cricketer Muralitharan has become controversial in Tamil Nadu. Source: https://scroll.in/article/
- Tunbridge Wells council investigates buying ABC cinema site after latest owner puts it on sale 2020/10/23lysian Residencies dashed hopes the redundant land would be developed after putting it on the market. Source: https://www.kentlive.news/news/tunbridge-wells-council-investigates-buying-4595200
- Newcastle Odeon cinema collapse: Two contractors charged 2020/10/23Two firms have been charged with safety breaches after a cinema collapsed during demolition work. Masonry and scaffolding from the Odeon in Pilgrim Street, Newcastle, which was built in the 1930s, fell on 3 April 2017, crushing a bus shelter. Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54509373
- Hull’s National Picture Theatre needs help to bring bomb-hit cinema back to life 2020/10/23A major project to bring a Hull landmark back to life is looking for volunteers to help in the restoration process. The National Picture Theatre on Beverly Road is looking for people to help assist with a project to conserve and repair the building and its heritage features. The derelict Hull cinema was almost destroyed in […]
- Hastings cinema says it faces closure without community support 2020/10/23A cinema in Hastings is calling on the community to support it or face imminent closure. Source: https://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/business/
- Blackpool Grand Theatre ‘saved’ by grant but more job cuts looming 2020/10/23“We’re grateful to get this chance to come back. The theatre opened in 1894 and this is a grade listed building however it’s not just bricks and mortar, it’s nothing without people” Source: https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/blackpool-grand-theatre-saved-grant-19095737
- Update on Blackpool IMAX cinema, new restaurants and Wilko store as funding approved 2020/10/23Blackpool has been given the go-ahead to start work on two key regeneration projects after being allocated £8.6m of funding from the Government’s Covid-19 ‘Getting Building Fund’. The schemes which include the redevelopment of Houndshill Shopping Centre and Abingdon Street Market have been given formal approval by the Lancashire Enterprise Partnership (LEP) – and it’s […]
- AMC to reopen more cinema theaters in the U.S. 2020/10/23AMC Entertainment Holdings, the largest U.S. theater chain, said on Monday it expects to reopen about a dozen locations in New York state starting Oct. 23 and plans to have more than 530 theaters open in the country by the end of the month. Source: https://www.unionleader.com/news/business/
- Academy Museum names historian of Black cinema as the new chief artistic officer 2020/10/23The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures is expected to announce Monday that Jacqueline Stewart will be its chief artistic and programming officer, overseeing exhibitions, programming and education. Stewart is a prominent film historian, scholar and archivist who teaches American film history at the University of Chicago; her specialty is in African American cinema. She was the first Black host of […]
- Now That Some New York Movie Theaters Can Reopen, Will Blockbusters Follow? 2020/10/23After months of nearly constant bad news — theater closures, movie postponements, “Tenet!” — the film industry last week finally received a glimmer of good news: New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that cinemas outside of NYC can start reopening on Friday. Hollywood studios have made it clear that blockbusters won’t return until cinemas in New York […]
- Sony Launches Cinema Line 2020/10/23Sony Electronics has launched Cinema Line, a series of camera products for a wide range of content creators. The new series will extend beyond basic cinema-camera and professional-camcorder form factors. Source: https://ascmag.com/articles/sony-launches-cinema-line
- China overtakes US as biggest cinema box office for 2020 2020/10/23China has overtaken the US in yearly box office receipts for the first time in history. The US cinema industry has been rocked by the effects of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. On Sunday (18 October), China reached a total of $1.988bn (£1.529bn) in box office takings for the year, surpassing the US total of $1.937bn (£1.490bn), according […]
- Robot performs long-distance bladder surgery using 5G 2020/10/23Chinese medical team has performed a remote radical cystectomy on a patient with help of a surgical robot. Source: https://tribune.com.pk/story/2267353/robot-performs-long-distance-bladder-surgery-using-5g
- Talent Roster Urging Congress To Bail Out Movie Theaters Grows To 120 As NATO, MPA, DGA Warn That Exhibitors “May Not Survive” – Update 2020/10/23The list of people in the creative community attaching their names to an urgent appeal to Congress on behalf of movie theaters has grown to 120 names. (See the full list below.) Talent initially joined with the Directors Guild of America, the National Association of Theatre Owners and the Motion Picture Association on September 30 to call […]
- Theatre Owners “Pleased” With Cuomo’s Move Allowing New York Cinemas To Reopen On October 23 – Update 2020/10/23The National Association of Theater Owners has responded to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s move to allow theaters outside of New York City starting Oct. 23. NATO of New York provided the following statement: “We are exceptionally pleased that Governor Cuomo has allowed for movie theaters in New York State to begin to reopen. As theaters have demonstrated […]
- As pandemic shutters cinemas, oldest movie theater in the world tries to buck the trend 2020/10/23Twenty-three moviegoers filed into the State Theatre in Washington, Iowa, on Oct. 2 — hardly a crowd, but one of the busier Friday nights the cinema has had since reopening in late May. Ushers in masks escorted the guests to their chairs, careful to seat them at least 6 feet away from one another. Then, […]
- Cineplex CEO Talks ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Delays, Cineworld Litigation, “Forced” Theater Closures 2020/10/23Cineplex CEO Ellis Jacob told shareholders his Canadian movie chain will not reclose theaters as Hollywood tentpoles continue to be delayed to 2021 or get streaming releases amid the pandemic. “We’re in a positive position from the theaters being open,” Jacob, who is also chairman of the National Association of Theatre Owners, which represents major […]
Drive-In Cinema News
- Where to Celebrate Halloween 2020 in Dallas 2020/10/23Rooftop Cinema Club, the new drive-in theater in Uptown, has a full lineup of ghastly films leading up Halloween. There are screenings of classic ...
- Catch Classic Horror Flicks At Joy-Lan Drive-In Theater In Florida 2020/10/23Joy-Lan Drive-In Theater in Florida is putting on quite the show this Halloween. Catch a classic horror movie marathon from your car!
- New Movies to Watch This Week: 'Borat' and 'After' Sequels, 'The Witches' and 'Rebecca' Remakes 2020/10/23Although Amazon Prime subscribers can watch the movie via the service, it's also available in select drive-ins around the country. Another hybrid ...
- "Visit" Custom Drive-In Screen And Watch Terrible Movies With Fallout 76 Community On Twitch 2020/10/23A Fallout 76 fan group decided to have its own Halloween event by streaming bad movies in a custom-built drive in theater. By Michael Lopez 1 minute ...
- Halloween drive-in cinema event in chaos as screen is in England but toilets are locked-down over ... 2020/10/239.5k votes, 119 comments. 18.0m members in the nottheonion community. For true stories that are so mind-blowingly ridiculous that you could have …
- Joe Bob Briggs: The Drive-In Will Never Die 2020/10/23With numerous blockbusters pushed back for years to come, theaters are in dire straits. Without a vaccine in the near-future, theater owners have ...
- Palace Amusement postpones drive-in cinema launch 2020/10/23"Sadly, due to major technical difficulties that arise at our test run on Thursday, October 22, we are unable to launch our Drive-in Cinema as planned until ...
- Drive In Cinema comes to Glasgow for Christmas special with Elf, Home Alone and more 2020/10/23glasgowlive.co.uk - The Drive In Cinema is bringing Christmas classics to Glasgow this winter, including Elf, Love Actually and It's A Wonderful Life.
- What's playing at the drive-in: 'Borat Subsequent Moviefilm' and more 2020/10/23L.A. Zoo Drive-In Motion pictures 5333 Zoo ... Legion Drive-In/The Hollywood Legion Theater at Put up 43 ... Los Angeles Arts Society Drive-in Cinema
- Palace Amusement postpones opening of drive-in cinema 2020/10/23If you had plans to enjoy a movie from the comfort of your car at the drive-in cinema in New Kingston, change them. Palace Amusement Limited has ...
- New drive-in movie pop-up in Northeast Columbia seeks to highlight Black films 2020/10/23COLUMBIA — The new Columbia Drive-in Movies Northeast series was started to correct an imbalance. “Even though we're a 50-50 [Black/white] city, ...
- What's playing at the drive-in: 'Borat Subsequent Moviefilm' and more 2020/10/23Legion Drive-In/The Hollywood Legion Theater at Post 43 ... Los Angeles Arts Society Drive-in Cinema ... Movies in Your Car at Seaside Cinema
- Outside Mississauga: 5 fun Halloween-themed activities 2020/10/23Fans of scary movies will be excited to hear Ontario Place is hosting movie ... Guests also have the option to participate in the drive-in Screampark ...
- What's playing at the drive-in: 'Borat Subsequent Moviefilm' and more 2020/10/23Here's our latest rundown of new and classic movies playing at drive-ins, ... L.A. Zoo Drive-In Movies ... Los Angeles Arts Society Drive-in Cinema
- Oscar Ready for Change: COVID Presents Chance to Rethink Old Ways 2020/10/23Somehow, it perfectly suited that film about loners in vehicles who form a community. Subsequent films have also offered great drive-in screenings “One ...
- Drive In Cinema comes to Glasgow for Christmas special with Elf, Home Alone and more 2020/10/23Callum Campbell, founder of Drive In Cinema, said, “We are so excited to be taking the best Christmas movies of all time on tour across Scotland, and ...
- Interview – Moorhead & Benson Talk SYNCHRONIC & the Influence of Quantum Physics on Their ... 2020/10/23Well Go USA will release Synchronic in theaters and drive-ins this Friday, ... How do the two of you find balance when working on a film together?
- Coachella Valley cities discourage trick-or-treating. But other Halloween events on tap 2020/10/23Spooktacular Family Movie Night and Día de los Muertos: The Drive-In Experience at Mary Pickford is D'Place will host a Spooktacular Family Movie ...
- Drive-In Cinema - Halloween Weekend 2020/10/23Halloween spirit is about to take over Delhi with Sunset Cinema Club bringing you a surreal collection of horror flicks over the weekend in a Drive-in ...
- Callum Campbell's festive flicks spark reel excitement 2020/10/23Callum said: "The Drive In Cinema is a truly magical movie experience and a brilliant event for all the family - the perfect combination of nostalgia, ...