This page is designed to pull together as much information, resources, and news relating to Coronavirus specifically within the cinema industry.
Please feel free to let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org of any other information and resources that you may be aware of:
General Corona Virus Information And Resources
All these resources and links are the Government related and similar sources relating to the virus and general advice:
- The official UK Government Coronavirus information website.
- The United Nations News page on the topic.
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics – providing the historical content of pandemics.
- Ukie COVID-19 roundup: Government and business support has a great summary of the aforementioned Government and business support.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. Includes an interactive global map with all the latest data on the Coronavirus cases.
- Protective Measures.
Individual Cinema Organisations/Company Information and Support Pages
Most of the individual membership organisations and similar have pages with specifically tailored resources:
- FAN – The Bigger Picture – extensive information page.
- Cinema Technology Community is offering free community membership for 6 months
- Cinema for All have a guide to creating virtual online Film Clubs.
- Cinema for All – advice and support whilst we stay at home.
- Independent Cinema Office Blog – What Cinemas Can Do Right Now.
- Air Screen Corona virus page
- Event Cinema Association Coronavirus Advice and Information
- Giant Screen Cinema COVID-19 Resource Page
- BECTU Covid-19 Adice and Information.
- Film & TV Charity Covid-19 advice page.
- UKCA Coronavirus Page.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- BFI – Answering Questions From the Screen Sectors.
- BFI Coronavirus Update.
- The Big Picture Corvid-19 Report.
- Screen has compiled an extensive list of all the ongoing international initiatives launched to support the international film industry at this time.
- Into Film – film guide to use at home.
- CICAE – CORONAVIRUS: SITUATION OF CINEMAS
- Independent Cinema Office sector survey results report.
- Box Office Coronavirus Pages.
- The Big Picture Page.
Cinema Sector-Specific Coronavirus News Stories
All the stories being published about Coronavirus across the sector:
- Box Office Pro Coronavirus Stories
- Celluloid Junkie Stories
- Hollywood Reporter.
- Mad Cornish Projectionist Coronavirus Stories.
- Variety Coronavirus Stories.
Equipment and Technical Advice
All these links are guides and resources to looking after and maintaining the technical equipment in the cinema.
- Equipment Shutdown Guide from CinemaNext
- Cinema Technology Community – Covid-19 Closure; Technology Tips for Equipment Upkeep and Preparation for Re-Opening.
- Cinionic’s guide to equipment shutdown.
- NEC Best Pracise Guidance for Cinema Equipment.
- FilmTech Forum – Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown
- GoFilex Shutdown Technical Details.
- GDC Technology Server Shutdown Technical Notice.
- Christie Closure Details.
- UNIC Cinemas Technical recommendations for cinema operators during closure.
- Technical guidance for prevention of Coronavirus spread during cinema reopening – UK China Film.
- QUBE Digitial Cinema Server Maintenance for Extended Shutdown.
- Atom Seating guide to deep cleaning their seats
- Preparing for a Cinema extended closure period and explaining why its so important
- Digital Cinema Report: Rebooting Cinemas When the Pandemic Ends
- Vista Reopening Tool Kit
Fundraising Related Links
There are a number of different funds being setup to help support the sector:
Retail/Property/Commercial Related Material
Information and articles directly related to Retail/Property/Commercial:
- What can UK retailers learn from their Chinese counterparts in the midst of COVID-19?
- What food retailers should do during the coronavirus crisis
Online Training Courses
There are plenty of online training courses being made available during this time, here are a few cinema specific ones:
- Christie University Catalog.
- Dolby Cinema Product Training Registration.
- Independent Cinema Office online learning courses.
- JBL/Harman Professional Online Training Sessons.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- Trinnov Audio Offers Cinema Downtime Customer Overview & Engineer Calibration Training
- A free Film Distribution Online Learning Course.
- QSC – Q-SYS Level 1 Cinema
Miscellaneous Resources and Information
This section is for any useful or relevant links that don’t fit anywhere else:
- Looking Forward: Assessing the Domestic Theatrical Situation.
- McKinsey – Survery US consumer sentiment during the Coronavirus crisis
- Calison Technology, better known for 3D products are offering disposable medical mask($0.55 for MOQ 1000pcs) and N95 mask($1.80 for MOQ 500pcs) available in stock, more details pls contact me via email@example.com.
- HR Advice for managers during the Coronavirus.
- COVID-19: Answering questions from the screen sectors.
- UK Cinema Network Facebook Page – is a peer to peer network for those who work in cinemas / multi-arts venues. An opportunity to share news, offer support and talk about new opportunities coming up.
- Social Distancing Festival. Not entirely cinema-related, but provides list of some of the material that is available to stream online, for when you need a break.
- Independent Cinema Office – list of Coronovirus resources.
A number of different organisations are putting on webinars to help share knowledge and information during this period. Any that are known about are listed below:
- Together Films – hosted a webinar on Monday 23rd March and Monday 30th March on the range of digital resources available to power community impact screenings during this time. Recordings of WEEK 1 and WEEK 2 can be found on the links.
- Cinema InFlux Webinar Series: have a weekly series of webinars, with previous weeks available to listen to.
- CJ Cinema Summit – A weekly webinar series, with previous editions available to listen to again online.
- Boxoffice Pro have a recap of the summit held on 26th March.
- CineConf: WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown, have a series of webinars. You can watch the first one on YouTube here.
- BoxOffice Pro – Podcasts.
- Park Circus_Comscore UK Webinar Presentation. The presentation includes details of Park Circus’ Corvid-19 response, their Classic Cinema Programming plan and how cinemas can book it.
Online Events This Week
Each week there are a variety of different online webinars being run by different people and companies, so here is your weekly guide to what is happening, with links to register:
The Big Picture Infographics
The Big Picture have been creating informative infographics and helping to disseminate information from across the sector, along with supporting this page. Also have a look at their Corvid-19 Report:
- Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19On the morning of March 12th of this year, Leon Newnham, the Chief Executive Officer of Vista Cinema, woke up to discover much of his hard work over the past several weeks would be for naught. The growing coronavirus pandemic... The post Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.J. Sperling Reich
- Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging YearTo say that 2020 has been a bad year for cinema operators and theatrical film distributors would be quite the understatement. With COVID-19 shuttering most of the world’s movie theaters, global box office is down well over 70% from last... The post Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging Year appeared first on Celluloid […]J. Sperling Reich
- The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They ReopenExhibitors are dying to reopen movie theatres. Studios are dying to release blockbuster films. But will fans be ready to risk dying to see them? That’s the dilemma facing our industry in what could be a cruel summer of dashed... The post The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They Reopen appeared first on […]Michael Giltz
- Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19As someone who made a living in the movie industry for over two decades and now writes about it, it pains me to admit this: I’m scared for what it’ll look like this time next year. I know, we’ve been... The post Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19 appeared first on Celluloid […]Jim Amos
- EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus ShutdownFrom the very moment in mid-March when the COVID-19 pandemic forced most cinemas around the world to shut their doors, they began to contemplate not only when they could reopen, but how they could do so in a way that... The post EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus Shutdown […]J. Sperling Reich
- When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie TheatreThese haven’t been a pleasant two months for the movie industry. Those of us who follow the film business, or simply just love movies, have watched as moviegoing has been completely upended, along with the rest of the entertainment sector,... The post When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie Theatre […]Jim Amos
- UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in EuropeInternational cinema trade body UNIC has launched a comprehensive guide to help cinemas across Europe, with detailed information about cinema closures, possible re-opening dates as well as overviews of public funding initiatives and support. UNIC has also been active in... The post UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in Europe appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown“Electric tiaras” are what theatre historian Ben M. Hall called the movie marquee. The cinema marquee and its readograph – the backlit sign written with moveable letters – is as important as the movie poster. Originally a rectangular sign, its... The post Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep GoingIt’s been a long old year, this week. It’s a sobering thought that our industry, like many others, temporarily doesn’t exist. In a little more than a week we at Celluloid Junkie have gone from tracking and reporting on the... The post “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep Going appeared first on Celluloid […]Claire Beswick
- Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19In these days of self-isolation, “vectoring” only with those you must, going out to the cinema is not an option – or is it? As the coronavirus closes multiplexes, movie theatres, outdoor screenings and specialist cinematic events in the west,... The post Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- Cinema will thrive, but perhaps not as we know it 2021/05/08Tim Kridel speaks with Mark Collins, professional senior manager of global cinema at Harman, to check the pulse of today’s cinema market and explore future opportunities… Source: https://www.inavateonthenet.net/case-studies/
- Funimation’s Mitchel Berger on Anime Title Demon Slayer Slaying the Domestic Box Office 2021/05/08It was a rare box office bright spot in 2020: Demon Slayer broke Spirited Away’s 19-year-old record to become the highest-grossing film in Japan, despite a pandemic that caused headlines about the exhibition industry to be near-uniformly dour. Based on a popular manga series that was subsequently adapted into a television anime, of which the […]
- Peabody Awards: ‘I May Destroy You,’ ‘Never Have I Ever,’ ‘Ted Lasso,’ Stephen Colbert’s ‘Late Show’ Among Nominees 2021/05/08The Peabody Awards board of jurors on Tuesday revealed its 60 nominees for the most compelling and empowering stories released across broadcast and streaming media in 2020. Thirty winners will be selected from the below nominees in the categories of children’s and youth, documentaries, entertainment, news, podcast/radio, public service and arts. The winners will be […]
- Flats plan for Walsall’s first cinema building and former pub 2021/05/08An historic former Walsall town centre pub which has been closed for five years could be converted into more than 20 apartments. The landmark was originally built in 1868 as an agricultural hall before it was redeveloped to become St George’s Hall a few years later. It became The Imperial Theatre in 1899 before it […]
- Morocco Hosting Virtual Film Festival Exploring Italian Cinema, Geography 2021/05/08The Italian Cultural Institute of Rabat (IIC) is hosting a virtual film festival, a 20-part online journey traveling through stunning Italian locations, between April 29 to June 25. The IIC is releasing approximately 60-minute long films on its Facebook page, highlighting the country’s dazzling squares, monuments, churches, and beaches. The two-month-long film festival is called […]
- Pandemic takes a toll on Nepal’s theatre community https://tkpo.st/3eQkt6N 2021/05/08The majority of theatres in the country have now been closed for over a year and this has left artists facing multiple challenges. Source: https://kathmandupost.com/art-culture/
- Italy’s David di Donatello Awards Set to Celebrate Resilience and Renewal of Cinema Italiano 2021/05/08Italy’s 66th David di Donatello Awards are set to celebrate on May 11 a year of resilience for Cinema Italiano that also looks likely to germinate some creative renewal, just as Italian movie theaters start to reopen and production is booming. Giorgio Diritti’s biopic “Hidden Away,” about crazed primitivist painter Antonio Ligabue, Gianni Amelio’s wistful […]
- A new stage for theatre technicians 2021/05/08When the theatres shut their gates for the pandemic, it was more than just a small adjustment for the community that lived off of it. Especially in a place like Chennai where this kind of art gets little exposure, minimal patronage and no help or official recognition. After a few slips and falls, while actors […]
- Tractor Outdoor partners with Sunshine Cinema to increase access to African film in under-resourced communities 2021/05/08Tractor Outdoor, one of South Africa’s leading, independent outdoor media owners, recently partnered with Sunshine Cinema to host a free drive-in movie screening in Cape Town. The event aimed to highlight the need for safe cinema spaces in under-resourced communities, thus increasing access to quality films that showcase proudly African talent. Sunshine Cinema, a solar […]
- Midtown Cinema’s renovations can now be enjoyed firsthand as the theater reopens for public screenings 2021/05/08When renovations were initially announced in 2020 for Harrisburg’s Midtown Cinema, plans were to reopen the independent movie theater in June. But due to the pandemic, any potential grand re-opening plans had to fall by the wayside. Instead, like many theaters, the Midtown Cinema opened carefully and gradually, with options to rent out the theaters […]
- Seattle-based kung fu movie ‘The Paper Tigers’ debuts after long, winding 10-year journey 2021/05/08Ten years ago, film editor Bao Tran dreamed of writing and directing his debut feature, a warmhearted kung fu comedy set in Seattle and centered on three childhood best friends who reunite in middle age to avenge their murdered master. “The Paper Tigers” finally arrives in theaters and online Friday – after a not-always-smooth journey. […]
- Analysis Finds ‘Gendered Ageism’ Among BAFTA Women TV Nominees – Global Bulletin 2021/05/08An analysis conducted by the Acting Your Age Campaign has found that since 2000, the average age of BAFTA leading TV actresses nominees has reduced from 52 to 32. “The messaging of this downwards age-trend is clear and worrying,” the analysis states. “Gendered ageism is seemingly increasing.” In 2021 alone, nominees Daisy Edgar-Jones (“Normal People”), […]
- Oscars Producer Steven Soderbergh Said It Was “Always Part Of The Plan” To End The Show On Best Actor Following Criticism Over Chadwick Boseman’s Loss 2021/05/08In a notable break from tradition, the Oscars ceremony on April 25 ended not with Best Picture, but with Best Actor — and people assumed this was an opportunity to end with a tribute to Chadwick Boseman, who was nominated posthumously for his role in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. Source: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/
- UK government to host international ‘green initiatives in film’ event 2021/05/08Conference to address the climate crisis and how to boost sustainability in film through international collaboration. Source: https://www.screendaily.com/news/
- Restart conference: Vue, Picturehouse heads to talk bringing audiences back to cinemas 2021/05/08Tim Richards, founder and CEO at Vue Cinemas, and Clare Binns, joint managing director at Picturehouse Cinemas, are coming together in conversation to talk abou how they plan to attract audiences back to cinemas, at the upcoming Restart Conference (May 18-20). Richards, who was recently appointed chair of the British Film Institute, and Binns will […]
- BFI’s New Streaming Service Brings Classic British Cinema to the United States 2021/05/08The United Kingdom is home to some of the world’s most acclaimed and influential filmmakers, but there have been surprisingly few ways for American film fans to stream the best of the country’s cinema in recent years. That’s something that the British Film Institute aims to change via BFI Player Classics, the organization’s upcoming American […]
- Bafta star Noel Clarke faces police probe after seven more women come forward accusing him of a campaign of sexual harassment and bullying 2021/05/08Noel Clarke is facing the prospect of a police investigation after seven more women came forward to accuse the Bafta star of a campaign of sexual harassment and bullying. With 27 women now saying they were sexually harassed or groped by the celebrated actor and director, Scotland Yard has said it is ‘assessing’ a specific […]
- Earth Day art installation deepens the human connection to water, creates illusory experience at CAM 2021/05/03The human relationship to water is an important one. It makes up 60% of adult bodies and 71% of the planet. It can be a life-sustaining element as much as a life-threatening force. These concepts will be celebrated on Earth Day at Cameron Art Museum (CAM) with a one-night art and science installation, FlowILM — […]
- Inside the Dark Ride at the Bodmin Jail Experience 2021/05/03Built in 1779 for King George III, Bodmin Jail is a historic former prison situated on the edge of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall. Closed in 1927, the large range of buildings is now largely in ruins, although parts of the prison have been turned into a tourist attraction.Although Bodmin Jail has consistently welcomed visitors in […]
- FlyDome theatre opens in China built by Project:Syntropy 2021/05/03Project:Syntropy, creators of technologies and display solutions for dome cinemas and immersive attractions, has completed the delivery of a turnkey full dome AV solution for the Qin Palace flying theatre at Hengdian World Studios theme park in Dongyang, China. The attraction features a 25m full dome screen, a 20+ multi-channel surround-sound system, show control, a […]
Drive-In Cinema News
- Ronnies Cinema 2021/05/09It was operated by Wehrenberg Theatres and this was most certainly their flagship drive-in theatre. Know About Ramadan TV Series 2021. Art Deco ...
- **THE EVENT YOU MUST SEE**... - The Mahoning Drive-In Theater 2021/05/09On May 21st & 22nd, The Mahoning Drive-in Theater & The LVAC Team Up to bring you 2 nights of all out WRESTLING Entertainment!! REEL RUMBLE ...
- In the Easy Chair with Paula Glen 2021/05/09I just wrapped up directing "The Belle of Amherst" at the Granite Theatre. ... There've been a few theaters regionally that have given outdoor drive-in ...
- Giovanna and Tom Fletcher dress up for Grease drive-in cinema trip with Emma and Matt Willis ... 2021/05/08Giovanna and Tom Fletcher joined friends Emma and Matt Willis for a trip to the drive-in cinema to look at Grease for the Busted star's thirty eighth ...
- Giovanna and Tom Fletcher dress up for Grease drive-in cinema trip with Emma and Matt Willis ... 2021/05/08Giovanna and Tom Fletcher joined pals Emma and Matt Willis for a trip to the drive-in cinema to watch Grease for the Busted star's 38th birthday.
- Giovanna and Tom Fletcher dress up for Grease drive-in cinema trip with Emma and Matt Willis ... 2021/05/08Giovanna and Tom Fletcher joined pals Emma and Matt Willis for a trip to the drive-in cinema to watch Grease for the Busted star's 38th birthday. The I'm ...
- Giovanna and Tom Fletcher dress up for Grease drive-in cinema trip with Emma ... 2021/05/08Giovanna and Tom Fletcher dress as a Pink Lady and a T-Bird while watching Grease at a drive-in cinema with Emma and Matt Willis for the Busted ...
- Century Theaters Reopening 2021/05/08Cinemark also announced it will reopen additional Bay Area theaters the ... Amelia's Starlite Drive-In Movie Theater to Reopen Later This Month No ...
- Giovanna and Tom Fletcher dress as a Pink Lady and a T-Bird while watching Grease at a drive-in ... 2021/05/08Giovanna and Tom Fletcher joined pals Emma and Matt Willis for a trip to the drive-in cinema to watch Grease for the Busted star's 38th birthday.
- 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17 2021/05/08Drive-in cinemas have been allowed since we entered Step 2 of the ... Odeon, which has a cinema at The Galleria in Hatfield, has confirmed it will ...
- 27 "Normal" Things TV And Movie Characters Do That Would Be So Bizarre In Real Life 2021/05/08"One thing that drives me berserk in movies is when someone is driving and talking to their passenger. They refuse to keep their eyes on the road and ...
- Himley Hall Drive-in cinema - Mamma Mia (PG) 2021/05/08Join us for a four day drive-in cinema extravaganza in the grounds of the magnificent Himley Hall. Four themed days; eleven movies. Which classic ...
- Sandringham Estate to host outdoor cinema within an hours drive of Cambs 2021/05/08With a selection of films on offer, The Luna Cinema has something for different tastes, whether you're a classics connoisseur or into your more modern ...
- 22 Fun Things to Do This Week (5.10.21) 2021/05/08Drive-in films are Thursday through Saturday, festival through May 23rd. // Fort Mason Center, 2 Marina Blvd. (Marina), tickets ($50-$90 per car) on ...
- Himley Hall Drive-in cinema - The Great Escape (PG) 2021/05/08Himley Hall Drive-in cinema - The Great Escape (PG) at Himley Hall and Park, Himley Park, Dudley, West Midlands, DY34DF Dudley, UK, Dudley, ...
- Blenheim Palace's drive-in cinema opens for bookings 2021/05/08The programme of films includes the Academy Award winning Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody and the iconic Star Wars: A New Hope. You can ...
- Ronnies Cinema 2021/05/08Louis area drive-ins. See the complete profile on LinkedIn and discover Ronnie's connections and jobs at similar companies. Ronnie McDowell concert ...
- Free Magical Marketplace and Live Music at Doc's Drive in Theatre - Facebook 2021/05/08Music event in Buda, TX by Doc's Drive In Theatre on Sunday, May 2 2021 with 372 people interested.13 posts in the discussion.
- The Flix 2021/05/08We run drive-in cinema events at Glasgow Prestwick Airport. ... Dipson Theatres - a circuit of movie theaters serving New York and Pennsylvania.
- Top 5 East End Live Shows This Weekend: May 7, 2021 2021/05/08Ghostbusters Drive-In ... the classic 1984 Ghostbusters on The Gateway's massive drive-in movie screen and prepare ... Limbo at Sag Harbor Cinema