This page is designed to pull together as much information, resources, and news relating to Coronavirus specifically within the cinema industry.
Please feel free to let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org of any other information and resources that you may be aware of:
General Corona Virus Information And Resources
All these resources and links are the Government related and similar sources relating to the virus and general advice:
- The official UK Government Coronavirus information website.
- The United Nations News page on the topic.
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics – providing the historical content of pandemics.
- Ukie COVID-19 roundup: Government and business support has a great summary of the aforementioned Government and business support.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. Includes an interactive global map with all the latest data on the Coronavirus cases.
- Protective Measures.
Individual Cinema Organisations/Company Information and Support Pages
Most of the individual membership organisations and similar have pages with specifically tailored resources:
- FAN – The Bigger Picture – extensive information page.
- Cinema Technology Community is offering free community membership for 6 months
- Cinema for All have a guide to creating virtual online Film Clubs.
- Cinema for All – advice and support whilst we stay at home.
- Independent Cinema Office Blog – What Cinemas Can Do Right Now.
- Air Screen Corona virus page
- Event Cinema Association Coronavirus Advice and Information
- Giant Screen Cinema COVID-19 Resource Page
- BECTU Covid-19 Adice and Information.
- Film & TV Charity Covid-19 advice page.
- UKCA Coronavirus Page.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- BFI – Answering Questions From the Screen Sectors.
- BFI Coronavirus Update.
- The Big Picture Corvid-19 Report.
- Screen has compiled an extensive list of all the ongoing international initiatives launched to support the international film industry at this time.
- Into Film – film guide to use at home.
- CICAE – CORONAVIRUS: SITUATION OF CINEMAS
- Independent Cinema Office sector survey results report.
- Box Office Coronavirus Pages.
- The Big Picture Page.
Cinema Sector-Specific Coronavirus News Stories
All the stories being published about Coronavirus across the sector:
- Box Office Pro Coronavirus Stories
- Celluloid Junkie Stories
- Hollywood Reporter.
- Mad Cornish Projectionist Coronavirus Stories.
- Variety Coronavirus Stories.
Equipment and Technical Advice
All these links are guides and resources to looking after and maintaining the technical equipment in the cinema.
- Equipment Shutdown Guide from CinemaNext
- Cinema Technology Community – Covid-19 Closure; Technology Tips for Equipment Upkeep and Preparation for Re-Opening.
- Cinionic’s guide to equipment shutdown.
- NEC Best Pracise Guidance for Cinema Equipment.
- FilmTech Forum – Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown
- GoFilex Shutdown Technical Details.
- GDC Technology Server Shutdown Technical Notice.
- Christie Closure Details.
- UNIC Cinemas Technical recommendations for cinema operators during closure.
- Technical guidance for prevention of Coronavirus spread during cinema reopening – UK China Film.
- QUBE Digitial Cinema Server Maintenance for Extended Shutdown.
- Atom Seating guide to deep cleaning their seats
- Preparing for a Cinema extended closure period and explaining why its so important
- Digital Cinema Report: Rebooting Cinemas When the Pandemic Ends
- Vista Reopening Tool Kit
Fundraising Related Links
There are a number of different funds being setup to help support the sector:
Retail/Property/Commercial Related Material
Information and articles directly related to Retail/Property/Commercial:
- What can UK retailers learn from their Chinese counterparts in the midst of COVID-19?
- What food retailers should do during the coronavirus crisis
Online Training Courses
There are plenty of online training courses being made available during this time, here are a few cinema specific ones:
- Christie University Catalog.
- Dolby Cinema Product Training Registration.
- Independent Cinema Office online learning courses.
- JBL/Harman Professional Online Training Sessons.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- Trinnov Audio Offers Cinema Downtime Customer Overview & Engineer Calibration Training
- A free Film Distribution Online Learning Course.
- QSC – Q-SYS Level 1 Cinema
Miscellaneous Resources and Information
This section is for any useful or relevant links that don’t fit anywhere else:
- Looking Forward: Assessing the Domestic Theatrical Situation.
- McKinsey – Survery US consumer sentiment during the Coronavirus crisis
- Calison Technology, better known for 3D products are offering disposable medical mask($0.55 for MOQ 1000pcs) and N95 mask($1.80 for MOQ 500pcs) available in stock, more details pls contact me via email@example.com.
- HR Advice for managers during the Coronavirus.
- COVID-19: Answering questions from the screen sectors.
- UK Cinema Network Facebook Page – is a peer to peer network for those who work in cinemas / multi-arts venues. An opportunity to share news, offer support and talk about new opportunities coming up.
- Social Distancing Festival. Not entirely cinema-related, but provides list of some of the material that is available to stream online, for when you need a break.
- Independent Cinema Office – list of Coronovirus resources.
A number of different organisations are putting on webinars to help share knowledge and information during this period. Any that are known about are listed below:
- Together Films – hosted a webinar on Monday 23rd March and Monday 30th March on the range of digital resources available to power community impact screenings during this time. Recordings of WEEK 1 and WEEK 2 can be found on the links.
- Cinema InFlux Webinar Series: have a weekly series of webinars, with previous weeks available to listen to.
- CJ Cinema Summit – A weekly webinar series, with previous editions available to listen to again online.
- Boxoffice Pro have a recap of the summit held on 26th March.
- CineConf: WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown, have a series of webinars. You can watch the first one on YouTube here.
- BoxOffice Pro – Podcasts.
- Park Circus_Comscore UK Webinar Presentation. The presentation includes details of Park Circus’ Corvid-19 response, their Classic Cinema Programming plan and how cinemas can book it.
Online Events This Week
Each week there are a variety of different online webinars being run by different people and companies, so here is your weekly guide to what is happening, with links to register:
The Big Picture Infographics
The Big Picture have been creating informative infographics and helping to disseminate information from across the sector, along with supporting this page. Also have a look at their Corvid-19 Report:
- Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19As someone who made a living in the movie industry for over two decades and now writes about it, it pains me to admit this: I’m scared for what it’ll look like this time next year. I know, we’ve been... The post Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19 appeared first on Celluloid […]Jim Amos
- EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus ShutdownFrom the very moment in mid-March when the COVID-19 pandemic forced most cinemas around the world to shut their doors, they began to contemplate not only when they could reopen, but how they could do so in a way that... The post EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus Shutdown […]J. Sperling Reich
- When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie TheatreThese haven’t been a pleasant two months for the movie industry. Those of us who follow the film business, or simply just love movies, have watched as moviegoing has been completely upended, along with the rest of the entertainment sector,... The post When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie Theatre […]Jim Amos
- UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in EuropeInternational cinema trade body UNIC has launched a comprehensive guide to help cinemas across Europe, with detailed information about cinema closures, possible re-opening dates as well as overviews of public funding initiatives and support. UNIC has also been active in... The post UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in Europe appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown“Electric tiaras” are what theatre historian Ben M. Hall called the movie marquee. The cinema marquee and its readograph – the backlit sign written with moveable letters – is as important as the movie poster. Originally a rectangular sign, its... The post Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep GoingIt’s been a long old year, this week. It’s a sobering thought that our industry, like many others, temporarily doesn’t exist. In a little more than a week we at Celluloid Junkie have gone from tracking and reporting on the... The post “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep Going appeared first on Celluloid […]Claire Beswick
- Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19In these days of self-isolation, “vectoring” only with those you must, going out to the cinema is not an option – or is it? As the coronavirus closes multiplexes, movie theatres, outdoor screenings and specialist cinematic events in the west,... The post Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- Coronavirus Is Blurring Theatrical Release Windows, Not Breaking ThemIn his 1982 collection of speeches and essays about the struggle for justice taking place in South Africa, Bishop Desmond Tutu wrote: A time of crisis is not just a time of anxiety and worry. It gives a chance, an... The post Coronavirus Is Blurring Theatrical Release Windows, Not Breaking Them appeared first on Celluloid […]J. Sperling Reich
- Coronavirus Cinema Update – Monday 16 March 2020This post will be updated throughout today. Please check back for updates. It is sadly becoming easier to track which countries haven’t closed their cinemas, than keeping track of all the ones where they have closed. Germany, Sweden, UK and... The post Coronavirus Cinema Update – Monday 16 March 2020 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Coronavirus Cinema Update – Friday 13 March 2020This post will be updated throughout the day (13 March 2020) as news emerges and things change at a fast pace. Thank you also to all those who have sent in news and kept us informed. Please send updates you... The post Coronavirus Cinema Update – Friday 13 March 2020 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Lights, camera, Amazon: Should the tech giant buy Seattle’s iconic Cinerama movie theater? 2020/06/03Seattleites love coming in out of the rain for a movie. Especially if there is chocolate popcorn. So when news hit Wednesday that Seattle’s beloved Cinerama — owned by the late Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen’s estate — was extending its closure for the “foreseeable future,” the reaction was anything but “Seattle nice.” “God this is an absolute gut punch,” said […]
- Lancaster on Ice team to launch drive-in open air cinema on city car park 2020/06/03Lancaster Lockdown Cinema will feature 45 films over three weeks with big screen classics and new releases. Grease, The Greatest Showman, Contagion, Matilda, Moulin Rouge, The Goonies, Dirty Dancing, Thelma and Louise and new horror film The Hunt are all on the bill for what is understood to be Lancaster’s first ever drive in cinema […]
- Antrim and Newtownabbey urged to explore outdoor cinema options 2020/06/03That was a suggestion made by Antrim DUP Councillor Paul Dunlop at Tuesday evening’s remote meeting of the borough council. Cllr Dunlop said he would like to see the local authority work with cinema operators in the borough and asked for this potential to be explored. Drive-in cinemas are permitted as part of an easing […]
- Drive-In Cinema reveals Newcastle location, new date and film bill as ticket sales open 2020/06/03Oscar-winner The Joker tops the movie programme of touring cinema which is heading to Newcastle this summer with a freebie offer for NHS staff… Read more: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/drive-cinema-reveals-newcastle-location-18329962
- Digital Projection Launches Satellite Modular Laser System A Revolutionary, Customizable Projector Solution 2020/06/03Digital Projection, the Emmy-award winning manufacturer of high-performance laser projection and fine-pitch LED wall solutions is pleased to officially launch its game-changing Satellite Modular Laser System (Satellite MLS). The keystone feature of this new, revolutionary system is the separation of the pure laser light engine, with the associated power and thermal management, to a remote location. This […]
- An amazing new drive-in cinema is coming to Knebworth House this July 2020/06/03A brand new drive-in cinema is coming to Hertfordshire this July. Since the Covid-19 lockdown, film fanatics have been missing the cinemas but one of the UK’s leading open-air cinema is launching a new venue at Knebworth House. The Luna Cinema will be opening up the cinema in July offering fans the opportunity to watch new and […]
- Future of Seattle’s Cinerama and Living Computers museum in doubt as Paul Allen’s Vulcan shutters arts and production divisions 2020/06/03Seattle-area cultural institutions founded by the late Paul Allen, including the Cinerama movie theater and Living Computers Museum + Labs, face the possibility of permanent closure after Vulcan Inc. announced Wednesday that it will wind down Vulcan Arts + Entertainment and Vulcan Productions by the end of the year. In a statement from Vulcan, the organization cited the […]
- NEC Display Adds to P Series Projector Lineup With 4K, 5,000 Lumen P506QL 2020/06/03NEC Display Solutions of America, a leading provider of commercial-grade digital signage displays and projectors, today announced their new, cutting-edge P506QL projector. Joining the already successful P Series, the P506QL provides an enhanced, high-quality viewing experience by combining Native 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution with 5,000 lumens of brightness. The first in the NEC […]
- The San Sebastian Festival is now receiving submissions for WIP Europa 2020/06/03The San Sebastian Festival opens its call for submissions for WIP Europa, an evolution of the Glocal in Progress programme, which will now present a maximum of six European films instead of the former three. The submission period will remain open until July 1. Read more: https://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=259863
- ARRI Confirms the ALEXA Super 35 4K to be Launched in 2021 2020/06/03According to ARRI, the concept of developing a digital solution for cinematographers was born due to the 2008 financial crisis. At that time, nobody had money to make movies or buy cameras. Furthermore, there was a threatened strike of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) that never happened, but it forced productions to use AFTRA actors. […]
- Science North, Sudbury Indie Cinema share federal funding for Northern Ont. tourism sector 2020/06/03Northern Ontario’s ailing tourism industry got a boost from the federal government on Saturday with an announcement of $7.6 million in funding to help spur sector growth. The funds will contribute to 36 tourism initiatives led by communities, businesses, and organizations in the region. FedNor made the announcement to coincide with National Tourism Week, which […]
- S.W.A.T. Executive Producer Addresses Plans For Season 4 Amid Protests 2020/06/03A lot is going on in the world, and this country especially, right now. With that, we are all being faced with a lot of anger, sadness and confusion, but also a lot of questions about how to move forward. You might not think that any of this would impact some of your favorite television […]
- Parbold volunteers receive prestigious Queen’s Award 2020/06/03Volunteers from Parbold Douglas Music Lancashire and Parbold Picture House have both received the award for the exemplary work that they have undertaken within their local community… Read more: https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/parbold-volunteers-receive-prestigious-queens-award/
- 10 Best Community Episodes That Pay Homage To Other Shows And Movies 2020/06/03Community loved to reference and parody other shows and famous movies. Here are the best example of Dan & company paying homage to pop culture! Read more:https://screenrant.com/best-community-episodes-pay-homage-parody-to-other-shows-movies/
- Reading International Announces Cinema Re-Openings in New Zealand and Australia 2020/06/03Reading International, Inc. (NASDAQ: RDI), an internationally diversified cinema and real estate company with operations and assets in the United States, Australia and New Zealand, today announced that it has begun limited cinema operations in New Zealand and will commence operating certain Reading Cinemas in Australia on June 11, 2020, in line with government and […]
- International Box Office Still Topsy-Turvy Amid Early Cinema Re-Openings; ‘Underwater’ Docks In Korea 2020/06/03Some international box office markets that are up and running — even if not at full steam — saw increases this weekend while others faced drops given good weather in some spots and an overall lack of new product. However, Disney floated Kristen Stewart-starrer Underwater into Korea for the first time with a No. 1 start at $402K which […]
- Netflix Closes Acquisition Of Egyptian Theatre; Joins Forces With American Cinematheque 2020/06/03Netflix officially closed their deal to acquire the Egyptian Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard and will team with the venue’s nonprofit American Cinematheque. Deadline first broke the news last August of the streamer’s interest in the Sid Grauman built venue. The American Cinematheque organization, established in 1984 will remain a non-profit, with the organization’s curation team intact, and along with Netflix will […]
- Inside the world’s oldest cinema – the Paignton Picture House 2020/06/03Pictures reveal the magnificent building now hidden behind closed doors. These striking photographs show Paignton’s historic cinema — as it hasn’t been seen in years. Paignton Picture House is reputed to be one of the world’s oldest purpose-built cinemas, built before the word had even been invented and first called the Electric Bioscopic Exhibition centre […]
- Stunning new secret cinema opening in Liverpool after lockdown 2020/06/03A new cinema is opening in Liverpool that you can book for your own private screening. The boutique-look room is hidden away in Liverpool’s beautiful Hope Street Hotel. The venue teased its secret new space on Instagram this week, and it looks like the perfect place for a post-lockdown night out. Read more:https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/stunning-new-secret-cinema-opening-18322293
- Liverpool’s lost multiplexes and what’s there now 2020/06/03We have seen many beautiful cinemas come and go… As many of us are missing going to our favourite cinema during the lockdown, we took a look back at some of our lost multiplexes over the years. Liverpool has seen many beautiful cinemas come and go, with derelict buildings left in their places or demolished […]
Drive-In Cinema News
- Luna Cinema screenings to come to castles in Rochester, Maidstone, Swanley and Tonbridge this ... 2020/06/04The company, which specialises in cinema under the stars between June and October every year, has also launched some drive-in cinema showings ...
- Ultra-Cool New Drive-In Cinema Venues Announced For Summer 2020/06/04Luna Cinema is one of the UK's most popular open-air and pop-up cinemas and now, in the era of social distancing, it's launching The Luna Drive-In ...
- Return of the humble drive-in 2020/06/04In the tropics, cinemas were covered at the back and open over the front seats, while friends put deck chairs on the grass and ran film clubs with their ...
- Meikarta Introduces Drive-In Dining 2020/06/04In the evening, cinemagoers can watch blockbuster movies while enjoying hot dinner inside their cars. Meikarta's new drive-in dining experience ...
- Nigeria's Nollywood gets creative to cope with virus crisis 2020/06/04French start-up LAFAAC has partnered with cinema school Femis and Nigerian television ... Drive-in theatres have done well in Nigeria's lockdown.
- In pics: drive-in cinema during concert in Athens 2020/06/04Aerial photo taken on June 2, 2020 shows cars parked at a drive-in cinema during a concert in Glyfada, a coastal suburb of Athens, Greece. (Photo by ...
- The Best Things to Do in Sydney If You're Staying Local This Long Weekend 2020/06/04But if you're a movie buff keen for some big-screen fun before that, Sydney's drive-in theatre is filling the gap — and, given that their whole concept ...
- Rooftop Cinema Club to host third ever Texas drive-thru in front of Six Flags Fiesta Texas 2020/06/04SAN ANTONIO- Rooftop Cinema Club is bringing its drive-in movie theatre experience to San Antonio June 18 with its third drive-thru in Texas for ...
- Karen Gillan: 7 Fascinating Facts About The Marvel And Doctor Who Star 2020/06/04The actress traveled across the galaxy, not to mention space and time, in Doctor Who, but the TV-movie star actually doesn't drive. In fact, as seen in ...
- Film News Roundup: Studio Movie Grill Hires Former AMC Executive Tonya Mangels 2020/06/04Bob Balaban, Jane Rosenthal, Eddie Burke Jr., Dexter Goei, Cinema Society's Andrew Saffir and Blade's Rob Wiesenthal have launched a drive-in ...
- The Broadmoor World Arena Drive-In Movie Experience: Jumanji and Talladega Nights 2020/06/03On the weekend of June 11-13, BWA in partnership with Invisible Ink Cinema and AXS ticketing will welcome patrons to Lot C (off of Geyser Drive) for ...
- Becky Review: Kevin James Terrorizes in Blood-Spattered Home Alone Riff 2020/06/03This means that, in cinema, there can be no revenge without bloodlust. ... Becky is a blood-splattered crowd-pleaser that would destroy at a drive-in.
- Drive-in movies and yoga/beer event at the Broadmoor World Arena 2020/06/03On the weekend of June 11 to the 13, the arena in partnership with Invisible Ink Cinema and AXS ticketing will welcome folks to Lot C (off of Geyser Drive) ...
- Streaming movie picks: Elisabeth Moss is brilliant (again) in 'Shirley' 2020/06/03Details: 3½ stars out of 4; available on several platforms; also check West Wind Drive In schedule for Bay Area screenings; www.westwinddi.com.
- Drive-in cinema - gala Charlie Chaplin 2020/06/03Film event in Iasi, Romania by Iulius Mall Iasi and Gama Visual Events on Saturday, June 6 2020 with 2.6K people interested and 334 people going.
- The Broadmoor World Arena offers drive-in movies and yoga classes 2020/06/03On the weekend of June 11-13, BWA in partnership with Invisible Ink Cinema and AXS ticketing will welcome patrons to Lot C (off of Geyser Drive) for ...
- Drive-In and Chill 2020/06/03A drive-in theater newly opened at Running Hare Vineyard in Prince Frederick lets film fans enjoy a movie theater experience while safely distanced.
- As Sask. prepares to raise limits on gathering size, couples see chance to tie the knot 2020/06/03SaskTel Centre converts parking lot into drive-in cinema. The new wedding plan is being designed by wedding planner Karly Shanks who owns Pretty ...
- Showcase Cinemas Exec. On The Future Of Movie Theaters: 'We Will Survive' 2020/06/03Movie theaters face an uncertain future amid the coronavirus pandemic. ... In the interim, Showcase has begun experimenting with drive-in film ...
- ONYANGO-OBBO: Forget Covid-19; think about camels and cannabis right now 2020/06/03... a dramatic shift to contactless payments, migration by those who can afford to less-contracted suburbs further out or a return to the drive-in cinema.