This page is designed to pull together as much information, resources, and news relating to Coronavirus specifically within the cinema industry.
Please feel free to let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org of any other information and resources that you may be aware of:
General Corona Virus Information And Resources
All these resources and links are the Government related and similar sources relating to the virus and general advice:
- The official UK Government Coronavirus information website.
- The United Nations News page on the topic.
- Visualizing the History of Pandemics – providing the historical content of pandemics.
- Ukie COVID-19 roundup: Government and business support has a great summary of the aforementioned Government and business support.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. Includes an interactive global map with all the latest data on the Coronavirus cases.
- Protective Measures.
Individual Cinema Organisations/Company Information and Support Pages
Most of the individual membership organisations and similar have pages with specifically tailored resources:
- FAN – The Bigger Picture – extensive information page.
- Cinema Technology Community is offering free community membership for 6 months
- Cinema for All have a guide to creating virtual online Film Clubs.
- Cinema for All – advice and support whilst we stay at home.
- Independent Cinema Office Blog – What Cinemas Can Do Right Now.
- Air Screen Corona virus page
- Event Cinema Association Coronavirus Advice and Information
- Giant Screen Cinema COVID-19 Resource Page
- BECTU Covid-19 Adice and Information.
- Film & TV Charity Covid-19 advice page.
- UKCA Coronavirus Page.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- BFI – Answering Questions From the Screen Sectors.
- BFI Coronavirus Update.
- The Big Picture Corvid-19 Report.
- Screen has compiled an extensive list of all the ongoing international initiatives launched to support the international film industry at this time.
- Into Film – film guide to use at home.
- CICAE – CORONAVIRUS: SITUATION OF CINEMAS
- Independent Cinema Office sector survey results report.
- Box Office Coronavirus Pages.
- The Big Picture Page.
Cinema Sector-Specific Coronavirus News Stories
All the stories being published about Coronavirus across the sector:
- Box Office Pro Coronavirus Stories
- Celluloid Junkie Stories
- Hollywood Reporter.
- Mad Cornish Projectionist Coronavirus Stories.
- Variety Coronavirus Stories.
Equipment and Technical Advice
All these links are guides and resources to looking after and maintaining the technical equipment in the cinema.
- Equipment Shutdown Guide from CinemaNext
- Cinema Technology Community – Covid-19 Closure; Technology Tips for Equipment Upkeep and Preparation for Re-Opening.
- Cinionic’s guide to equipment shutdown.
- NEC Best Pracise Guidance for Cinema Equipment.
- FilmTech Forum – Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown
- GoFilex Shutdown Technical Details.
- GDC Technology Server Shutdown Technical Notice.
- Christie Closure Details.
- UNIC Cinemas Technical recommendations for cinema operators during closure.
- Technical guidance for prevention of Coronavirus spread during cinema reopening – UK China Film.
- QUBE Digitial Cinema Server Maintenance for Extended Shutdown.
- Atom Seating guide to deep cleaning their seats
- Preparing for a Cinema extended closure period and explaining why its so important
- Digital Cinema Report: Rebooting Cinemas When the Pandemic Ends
- Vista Reopening Tool Kit
Fundraising Related Links
There are a number of different funds being setup to help support the sector:
Retail/Property/Commercial Related Material
Information and articles directly related to Retail/Property/Commercial:
- What can UK retailers learn from their Chinese counterparts in the midst of COVID-19?
- What food retailers should do during the coronavirus crisis
Online Training Courses
There are plenty of online training courses being made available during this time, here are a few cinema specific ones:
- Christie University Catalog.
- Dolby Cinema Product Training Registration.
- Independent Cinema Office online learning courses.
- JBL/Harman Professional Online Training Sessons.
- ScreenSkills page of Coronavirus information and resources, including training.
- Trinnov Audio Offers Cinema Downtime Customer Overview & Engineer Calibration Training
- A free Film Distribution Online Learning Course.
- QSC – Q-SYS Level 1 Cinema
Miscellaneous Resources and Information
This section is for any useful or relevant links that don’t fit anywhere else:
- Looking Forward: Assessing the Domestic Theatrical Situation.
- McKinsey – Survery US consumer sentiment during the Coronavirus crisis
- Calison Technology, better known for 3D products are offering disposable medical mask($0.55 for MOQ 1000pcs) and N95 mask($1.80 for MOQ 500pcs) available in stock, more details pls contact me via email@example.com.
- HR Advice for managers during the Coronavirus.
- COVID-19: Answering questions from the screen sectors.
- UK Cinema Network Facebook Page – is a peer to peer network for those who work in cinemas / multi-arts venues. An opportunity to share news, offer support and talk about new opportunities coming up.
- Social Distancing Festival. Not entirely cinema-related, but provides list of some of the material that is available to stream online, for when you need a break.
- Independent Cinema Office – list of Coronovirus resources.
A number of different organisations are putting on webinars to help share knowledge and information during this period. Any that are known about are listed below:
- Together Films – hosted a webinar on Monday 23rd March and Monday 30th March on the range of digital resources available to power community impact screenings during this time. Recordings of WEEK 1 and WEEK 2 can be found on the links.
- Cinema InFlux Webinar Series: have a weekly series of webinars, with previous weeks available to listen to.
- CJ Cinema Summit – A weekly webinar series, with previous editions available to listen to again online.
- Boxoffice Pro have a recap of the summit held on 26th March.
- CineConf: WEBINAR – Big Screen Entertainment and the Impact of Coronavirus Lockdown, have a series of webinars. You can watch the first one on YouTube here.
- BoxOffice Pro – Podcasts.
- Park Circus_Comscore UK Webinar Presentation. The presentation includes details of Park Circus’ Corvid-19 response, their Classic Cinema Programming plan and how cinemas can book it.
Online Events This Week
Each week there are a variety of different online webinars being run by different people and companies, so here is your weekly guide to what is happening, with links to register:
The Big Picture Infographics
The Big Picture have been creating informative infographics and helping to disseminate information from across the sector, along with supporting this page. Also have a look at their Corvid-19 Report:
- Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19On the morning of March 12th of this year, Leon Newnham, the Chief Executive Officer of Vista Cinema, woke up to discover much of his hard work over the past several weeks would be for naught. The growing coronavirus pandemic... The post Vista Cinema In The Time of COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.J. Sperling Reich
- Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging YearTo say that 2020 has been a bad year for cinema operators and theatrical film distributors would be quite the understatement. With COVID-19 shuttering most of the world’s movie theaters, global box office is down well over 70% from last... The post Film Expo Group Rallies Around ShowEast During Challenging Year appeared first on Celluloid […]J. Sperling Reich
- The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They ReopenExhibitors are dying to reopen movie theatres. Studios are dying to release blockbuster films. But will fans be ready to risk dying to see them? That’s the dilemma facing our industry in what could be a cruel summer of dashed... The post The Problems Facing North American Movie Theatres After They Reopen appeared first on […]Michael Giltz
- Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19As someone who made a living in the movie industry for over two decades and now writes about it, it pains me to admit this: I’m scared for what it’ll look like this time next year. I know, we’ve been... The post Saving Small Town Cinemas in the Wake of Covid-19 appeared first on Celluloid […]Jim Amos
- EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus ShutdownFrom the very moment in mid-March when the COVID-19 pandemic forced most cinemas around the world to shut their doors, they began to contemplate not only when they could reopen, but how they could do so in a way that... The post EVO Shares A Phased Approach for Reopening Their Texas Cinemas After Coronavirus Shutdown […]J. Sperling Reich
- When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie TheatreThese haven’t been a pleasant two months for the movie industry. Those of us who follow the film business, or simply just love movies, have watched as moviegoing has been completely upended, along with the rest of the entertainment sector,... The post When We Return To “Normal,” the First Stop May Be The Movie Theatre […]Jim Amos
- UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in EuropeInternational cinema trade body UNIC has launched a comprehensive guide to help cinemas across Europe, with detailed information about cinema closures, possible re-opening dates as well as overviews of public funding initiatives and support. UNIC has also been active in... The post UNIC Launches Guide to Help Cinemas in Europe appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Patrick von Sychowski
- Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown“Electric tiaras” are what theatre historian Ben M. Hall called the movie marquee. The cinema marquee and its readograph – the backlit sign written with moveable letters – is as important as the movie poster. Originally a rectangular sign, its... The post Cinema Marquees Go Viral Amid COVID-19 Shutdown appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep GoingIt’s been a long old year, this week. It’s a sobering thought that our industry, like many others, temporarily doesn’t exist. In a little more than a week we at Celluloid Junkie have gone from tracking and reporting on the... The post “So, What Happens Now?” How UK Cinemas Keep Going appeared first on Celluloid […]Claire Beswick
- Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19In these days of self-isolation, “vectoring” only with those you must, going out to the cinema is not an option – or is it? As the coronavirus closes multiplexes, movie theatres, outdoor screenings and specialist cinematic events in the west,... The post Drive-Ins: How Big Screen Entertainment Survives During COVID-19 appeared first on Celluloid Junkie.Karen Krizanovich
- Going back to the cinema after lockdown was a heady mix of weird and wonderful 2021/03/04When movie theatres reopened after lockdown in New South Wales last year, I was apprehensive. Though I wanted to support my favourite cinemas and mainline choc tops, it was quite some time before I braved one. But when the virus seemed under control for long enough, I threw caution to the possibly contaminated wind and […]
- Drive-in, ‘tailgate style’ laser show coming to WNC Ag Center in Fletcher 2021/03/04A “tailgate-style” drive-in laser show choreographed to musical hits from across the decades is coming to the WNC Ag Center next week. The traveling Cabin Fever Light Show will be held at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. March 11-14, with 10:30 p.m. “Laser Floyd Spectacular” shows March 12-13 as well. Cabin Fever says its 40-minute “family […]
- Clear Sky Resorts Launches Unique Luxury Sky Domes at two National Parks in Western U.S. in 2021 2021/03/04Clear Sky Resorts announces the launch of America’s first and only resort of its kind with the June 2021 grand openings at two of the most coveted vacation destinations in the West – Grand Canyon National Park and Glacier National Park. Source: https://www.wandtv.com/news/national/
- Alloy Orbit 360° Concept Projector creates an interactive touch interface for gaming 2021/03/04Finally, there’s a device that encourages you to put down your phone and interact with the family. Simply place your phone on top of the Alloy Orbit 360 Concept Projector, and it’ll project an interactive touch interface onto any surface. Source: https://thegadgetflow.com/portfolio/360-concept-projector/
- What We Learned From A Panel With Pixar’s SparkShort Directors 2021/03/04Today, VIEW, an Italian conference on Computer Graphics, Interactive Techniques, Digital Cinema, 2D/3D Animation, VR and AR, Gaming and VFX, held a special forum as part of its program featuring a discussion with five directors of different Pixar SparkShorts that are under award consideration this year. Hosted by Animation World Network’s Dan Sarto, the panel featured […]
- New plans for Swansea’s Palace Theatre 2021/03/04THERE are few locations which have hosted as much drama, laughter and joy in Wales, and now for nearly 14 long years it has been sadly silent. The Palace Theatre in Swansea, which has been closed since 2007 and suffered a fire in September 2019, has seen it all over its 133-year history. Source: https://www.llanelliherald.com/46222/new-plans-for-swanseas-palace-theatre/
- Scarborough cinema developer ‘surprised’ at council decision to cut ties 2021/03/04A developer has said it will look to recover more than £12 million from Scarborough Council after the authority refused to extend its contract with the firm. Source: https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/news/
- The folk of Whitley Bay and Monkseaton flocked to the Regal cinema – what became of it? 2021/03/04Opening as the Regal cinema on Cauldwell Lane, Monkseaton, in 1939, the place went through several incarnations before it finally closed at the dawn of the millennium. Source: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/gallery/folk-whitley-bay-monkseaton-flocked-19893925
- McDonald’s on Manchester’s Oxford Road is due to be partially transformed into low-rise flats 2021/03/04The 20,000 sq. ft. space occupies a prominent location at the junction of Chepstow Street, Oxford Street and Portland Street, and currently houses a 24hr McDonald’s. The building was formerly tenanted by The Picture House cinema, and is the last of the four Edwardian cinemas built at this junction. Source: https://aboutmanchester.co.uk/
- Meet the team behind the restoration of 1930s art deco cinema The Roxy in County Durham 2021/03/04The Roxy opened in 1939 and was an iconic art deco style cinema at the heart of the community on Watling Street in Leadgate, County Durham. The building later became a bingo hall in 1974 before closing its doors for the final time in 1985. Since its closure over 35 years ago, the Roxy has […]
- Inside the luxury development of the old Astoria Theatre 2021/03/04This multi-million-pound development of luxury properties sits on the old Astoria Theatre site. Astoria Theatre was built in the 1930s in an Art Deco style, it had a few years of success in the 50s but it never really took off. Source: https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19104335.inside-luxury-development-old-astoria-theatre/
- Five things in movies you may not know are CGI 2021/03/04While watching films we often don’t pick up on the subtle CGI we may be seeing, as we’re too busy enjoying the film. However, some CGI is done so well that at first glance, you wouldn’t notice the trickery… Source: https://www.femalefirst.co.uk/movies/
- Ireland’s Young Filmmaker Awards celebrates its 25 anniversary! 2021/03/04ALL has changed in the world of film festivals post-Covid-19, and Fresh International Film Festival (March 22-28) is going digital for the second year running as it celebrates its 25th anniversary of giving young filmmakers a platform to shine. Fresh Film encourages young people to make films by hosting the annual Fresh International Film Festival, which […]
- 19 Talented Actors Whom Hollywood Has Sadly Slept On For A Long, Long Time 2021/03/04We asked the BuzzFeed Community to tell us which talented actors in Hollywood deserve bigger careers and better roles. Here are the amazing results. Source: https://www.buzzfeed.com/kaylayandoli/talented-actors-deserve-bigger-careers
- Brits bagged 40% of the Golden Globes: Here are the 25 best British movies of the last 10 years 2021/03/04British filmmakers have spent the last decade providing the world of cinema with the most interesting and inventing stories one can find anywhere in the world. Working across a diverse range of genres at an increasingly mercurial rate, the British film industry is currently enjoying an acclaimed period of creativity. Long gone are the days […]
- 39 More Movies So Thoroughly Messed Up, People Regret Even Watching Them 2021/03/04We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community, “What’s a movie that was so disturbing, you wish you had the ability to unsee it?” and their terrifying answers sparked even MORE fantastic (albeit, disturbing) responses! Source: https://www.buzzfeed.com/alliehayes/most-disturbing-movies-of-all-time-sequel
- 10 Worst Neighbours In Horror Movies 2021/03/04When these folks move in, it’s time to move out… Source: https://whatculture.com/film/10-worst-neighbours-in-horror-movies
- ‘Flames of Wrath’ and the Pioneering African-American Women of Silent Cinema 2021/03/04Maria P. Williams was one of the first African-American women to make movies, and her life is as fascinating as the one known film she made. Source: https://filmschoolrejects.com/flames-of-wrath/
- Beirut blast ‘collapsed world’ of Berlin film fest contenders 2021/03/04The Berlin film festival kicked off online Monday with a premiere from a Lebanese couple who had to overcome both Beirut’s devastating port blast and the pandemic to bring their movie to the screen. “Memory Box” by Joana Hadjithomas and Khalil Joreige is one of 15 films vying for the Golden Bear top prize Friday […]
- WHY ‘THE VIGIL’ IS THE FIRST GREAT HORROR FILM OF 2021 2021/03/04Considering their reputation as ‘dump months,’ January and February seem to have over-delivered on the horror front in 2021. We’ve already had Chloë Grace Moretz fighting chauvinism, Nazis, and airborne gremlins in the fun monster mash-up Shadow in the Cloud. And Nicolas Cage continued to embrace the genre that best suits his wild-eyed persona in […]
Drive-In Cinema News
- PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN 2 @ Daisy Dukes Drive In Cinema , Meadowhall Shopping ... 2021/03/06Welcome to our spectacular Drive-In Cinema, watch blockbuster movies on some of the largest outdoor LED screens in the world! Also check out other ...
- Shudder Announces New Horror Lineup for April 2021/03/06April 1: Train to Busan Presents: Peninsula (Shudder Exclusive Film) ... The show features Joe Bob Briggs, the world's foremost drive-in movie critic.
- New film festival being readied for Bridgeport 2021/03/06“We're trying to figure out if we're going to maybe do a drive-in or have an outdoor set-up with tables and chairs.” Even with the uncertainty of the ...
- Chicken Ranch Drive In Theater 2021/03/06Chicken Ranch Drive In Theater We bring our passion, expertise, and taste. by Linda on The Skyline Drive-In Theatre. Institutionalized prostitution in ...
- Drive-in cinema coming to castle near Market Harborough - including Jurassic Park and Frozen 2 2021/03/06You can enjoy the film from the comfort of your own car, or take along a chair or blanket and sit outside your car. Food and drink, such as burgers, pizza, ...
- ICICI Bank - AHMEDABAD - DRIVE - IN - CINEMA? - AHMEDABAD - MICR Code, IFSC Code ... 2021/03/06DRIVE - IN CINEMA, DRIVE IN ROAD, AHMEDABAD.? 380054? City : AHMEDABAD District :AHMEDABAD State: GUJARAT, PHONE - 022 - 67574314 ...
- showboat drive-in theater lake geneva 2021/03/06showboat drive-in theater lake geneva. 09-10-2020, 02:00 PM. Hey there, I need to find any information about showboat drive-in theater lake geneva, ...
- When does Alton Towers open? 13 family-friendly attractions within an hour of Stoke-on-Trent that ... 2021/03/06Under the Prime Minister's roadmap out of lockdown, during stage two, on April 12, zoos, theme parks and drive-in cinemas can reopen, as well as ...
- marcus theaters reopen 2021/03/06READ MORE: The roadmap for theatre is too cautious, too vague, and possibly too late Cinema Drive-in cinemas can reopen from April 12, while …
- Kearney-based Brandon Built makes furnishings and gives back to the community 2021/03/06The Fort Cody Trading Post, 221 Halligan Drive in North Platte, has a variety of ... It specializes in foreign language books, cinema titles and fiction.
- Harbor Theater Movies - La terra Santa 2021/03/06See 3 tips from 23 visitors to Harbor Beach Community Theatre. Drive-In Movies at the Blue Fox at Blue Fox Drive-In Theatre in Oak Harbor, WA - Fri ...
- New York movie theaters reopen at 25%: Liam Neeson and Andrew Yang welcome patrons back ... 2021/03/06Opening theaters comes as a relief to residents who have had to forego watching new release movies or leave NYC to see them at drive-in theaters ...
- John Schneider's New Drive-In Opening in Holden,Louisiana | TigerDroppings.com 2021/03/06“Two things I've missed since I was a teenager are drive-in movie theaters and Southern horsepower comedies," Schneider said. "I'm proud to say that ...
- Liberty Center, Ohio Drive-in Cinema - Ohio News Time 2021/03/06Rodney and Donna Sanders, owners of the Liberty Center's Field of Dreams Drive-in Theater, said Friday that they were more excited than ever this year ...
- Alamo Drafthouse, Roxie and most Bay Area indie art houses choose to stay closed while big ... 2021/03/06Movie theater screens are lighting up across the Bay Area once again, but ... for pandemic grants and loans, and some have had GoFundMe drives.
- Suspect in the Tynong North murders a prude with secret taste for porn, prostitutes 2021/03/06The former film projectionist died last August at 88 but the suspicions ... the Skye Rd area well because he had worked at a drive-in cinema there.
- Where was Rain Man Filmed? 2021/03/06Known to be the highest-grossing film of 1988, bagging eight Oscar ... Charlie's LA home is the 1599 Sunset Plaza Drive in West Hollywood.
- Walk The Line at Helmingham Hall 2021/03/06Boutique cinema, The Star & Mouse is roaring and ready to go for another summer of drive-in jolity and will be popping up in various beauty spots ...
- Dukes of Hazzard Star John Schneider Opens Drive-In Theater in Holden, Louisiana | News Break 2021/03/05Dukes of Hazzard Star John Schneider Opens Drive-In Theater in Holden, Louisiana. John Schneider, 'Bo' Duke from the hit television show 'Dukes of ...
- Honey Bear Artist fnnch Releases 'Movie Bear' Prints to Benefit Roxie Theater 2021/03/05But if this fnnch benefit goes well, they may catch more flies with honey bears than streaming and drive-in shows. The Movie Bear print is available until ...